Odd Vibrations... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 2:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Odd Vibrations...

This is my first post on this board, so I'll try to be succinct.

I'm considering taking my bike into the shop, but I'd like to hear some opinions on here first. When riding, if I put the bike into neutral and let the clutch out it vibrates kind of oddly, if the bike is in gear the vibrations aren't there, and if I'm clutching in the vibrations aren't there. Sometimes they seem to get better or worse with heat, but as I said, only while the bike is in neutral and my hand is off the clutch lever.

I haven't beaten on the clutch at all, on the contrary I've been taking it very easy on it, oil and all fluids are all tip top. Shifting is a -bit- notchy in 2nd, but I think that may or may not be common to all Blades? Just wondering if anyone on here has any experiences of this sort or advice. The bike has about 56k km on it, and its a '98 CBR900RR. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 2:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Odd Vibrations...

If you've never replaced the clutch disks, I'd bet that the vibration is just due to them being worn.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 2:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116
If you've never replaced the clutch disks, I'd bet that the vibration is just due to them being worn.
Thanks for the quick reply, do you have any idea what the cost involved w. having those replaced is at a dealership? I don't believe they've been replaced and now that the bike is getting a little long in the tooth it would make sense for them to be due..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 2:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It would be a whole lot less expensive for you to get a manual and do it yourself. It is a piece of cake to do, just takes some time. I'm sure shop labor will be ~$100 on top of parts.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 2:58 PM Thread Starter

Normally I'd have no problem w. performing my own maintenance, but as a general rule I stay away from transmissions, too much to go wrong. Plus, I haven't got anything in the way of torque wrenches and each of the wee bolts in there have their own specific torque values...thanks for the help again
post #6 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 11:56 PM

The little vibrations and noises you hear are normal and common among this year blade. It's the clutch basket.

You can replace the clutch plates, and you may need to, but I can promise that you will still feel a very small vibration from a motor that isn't balanced and a noisy clutch basket.

In reality the tolorances in these motors are loose while making huge amounts of power. You are going to hear noises if you listen for them. Check out the hundred other threads concerning noises. It will definitely calm your worries about the rattles and vibrations.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom900
The little vibrations and noises you hear are normal and common among this year blade. It's the clutch basket.

You can replace the clutch plates, and you may need to, but I can promise that you will still feel a very small vibration from a motor that isn't balanced and a noisy clutch basket.

In reality the tolorances in these motors are loose while making huge amounts of power. You are going to hear noises if you listen for them. Check out the hundred other threads concerning noises. It will definitely calm your worries about the rattles and vibrations.
I just purchased the bike used so I'm just becoming perceptive to the sounds that it makes. What worries me isn't the rattles so much as that what its doing now it didn't seem to do before.

Upon further inspection, pulling the clutch in while in neutral appears to cause engine RPM to deviate slightly (very slightly) for a moment and for the noise to go away. Shifts seem a bit notchy too at higher RPM...
post #8 of 9 Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Get the clutch plates changed. You can do it yourself if you're mechanically inclined. There really isn't much to it.

As far as the hard feeling in the gear shift, that's most likely normal.
You may also want to change the oil and add a high quality Full Synthetic oil.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2006, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

I think I may just have to get those plates changed, I'm in for service on May9 and I'll be sure to post what the mechanic thinks...

I'm using Honda HP4 (the gold bottle, no moly) right now, oil was changed approx 400-500km ago.

Thanks for the expedient replies...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page