Loose Sprocket? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Loose Sprocket?

I had the blade on the rear stand to clean and lube the chain after cleaing the bike today and i happened to be holding the tire in place and noticed as i ran my rag across the chain and sprocket that the sprocket could move maybe a quarter inch without the wheel moving. I can hold the wheel still and move the sprocket forawrd and back just that little bit..

Is this a problem? I never noticed it before so I am not sure.. there's no side to side play like it's loose or anything just that forward/backward little bit of turn I can do with it. Just wondering if this is normal or if I need to get it looked at since it is under warranty..

Thanks for any and all helpful information
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:01 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Probably a stupid question but

Sounds like something is up with the cush drive. Get it looked at asap.
post #3 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:07 PM Thread Starter

That's the part I was trying to think of.. Ok, guess it's off to the stealer tomorrow to see what is up with it. I hope they don't give me any major run around since I bought the thing from an out of town dealer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:11 PM

Reputation Power: 50

I'd trailer it too if it's an option.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:26 PM Thread Starter

See now you got me wondering what would have happened today had it not been raining for the first half of the day and I had just gone riding the mountain roads like I had planned and not cleaned the bike till afterwords. I hope the cush drive is a covered item on the warranty.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:32 PM

Reputation Power: 42

It's a pretty straightforward job to inspect the cush. Sounds like you already have a stand...pop that rear wheel off and have a look...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #7 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:47 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what to look for... i usually end up stopping at the shop where i get my tires when the chain needs tightening since they do it free and also clean/lube the chain for me. So I've never taken the thing off before. Also, I tried earlier to get the nut loose to take the tire off and that small ass piece of crap wrench they give you in the tool kit is so small i can stand on it and it won't budge. Gonna have to get a cheater bar to add to it I guess.

so if I do get this thing off myself what am I looking for?

Sorry for my ignorance but I just this year started actually doing things to the bike myself and some of these things make me want to ask questions so I dont' **** it up... thanks for all help and advice... you guys are always the best when it comes to this stuff.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 8:54 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsome
Not sure what to look for... i usually end up stopping at the shop where i get my tires when the chain needs tightening since they do it free and also clean/lube the chain for me. So I've never taken the thing off before. Also, I tried earlier to get the nut loose to take the tire off and that small ass piece of crap wrench they give you in the tool kit is so small i can stand on it and it won't budge. Gonna have to get a cheater bar to add to it I guess.

so if I do get this thing off myself what am I looking for?
From your responce, Take it to the shop.

But if you were to get the wheel off the rim has several spaces in ther that accept small rubber thingies that cushion the sprocket assembly. One or more may be broken/Missing that need replaced.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #9 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 9:04 PM Thread Starter

OK, i see the rubber dampers that are in the hub in the picture of my manual here now that i got smart and looked into it. i am guessing those are what are being called the cush drive... guess it's time to see if I got a piece of pipe aroudn here that'll enable me to get this thing off.
post #10 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 33

You will better off getting a wrench or socket that fits rather than using the garbage tools that come with the bike. M2C

Just be careful to look at how the parts come off as they have spacers that might fall out and need to be put back properly. It helps if you have a buddy to help with re-assembly.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #11 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 9:16 PM

Just remember the spacers are supposed to go across the metal bars, like half in one piece of pie, and half in the other piece of pie. If the spacer has been inserted wrong, the whole spacer will be shoved into one piece of pie.

My local wrench guy says this sometimes happens. Might be you're problem. I turn wrenches as much as you , but just trying to help.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

Heck I turn wrenches every day at work but that's on industrial production equipment. I just finally decided this year I was sick of paying $40 or more per hour to get easy stuff worked on the bike.

I look at the manual and it makes it seem like i need a bunch of tools that i don't have. Only because this is a part I haven't ventured into yet that I am leary of screwing with it since I don't even know if this would be a warranted item. I am thinking that if it is just the rubber pieces that it'll be a non warranted item just because they would be expected to wear out just like the chain or sprocket..

was kind of hoping someone who's had this happen on a bike that was still under warranty would chime in and say it was or wasn't covered.

Guess I will see tomorrow as I have decided not to mess with it and take it down to the stealer after I goto court tomorrow. (No I didn't get a ticket, the guy who hit me last year, and didn't have insurance has refused to pay the insurance company so they are suing him and I have been ordered to come in to give testimony.)
post #13 of 24 Old 04-30-2006, 11:11 PM

If you're just taking the wheel off and the sprocket off the wheel, you need a 32mm socket to get the axle nut off and I forget what the sprocket nuts were (~14mm). The plastic cover and the rubber bushings will come right out.

The dealer will probably try to talk himself out of any warranty work.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus
If you're just taking the wheel off and the sprocket off the wheel, you need a 32mm socket to get the axle nut off and I forget what the sprocket nuts were (~14mm). The plastic cover and the rubber bushings will come right out.

The dealer will probably try to talk himself out of any warranty work.
Don't forget about the torque wrench to put it back on correctly. Not something you want flopping around back there.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-01-2006, 8:33 AM

Reputation Power: 22

dude, if its under warranty, just take it to the shop! Not saying you will screw it up but why take a chance if you dont have too.

Life is Good, Life is Great

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page