Wanna see my Speedo - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-03-2006, 3:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Wanna see my Speedo

That should get your attention. There's nothing like imagining...............nevermind.

Here's the deal, I'm chopping, changing, and and as usual screwing something up.
I have a 1997 engine with an output shaft driven speedometer sensor. I can't remember which wiring harness I've used because I've changed so much crap on the this particular bike. (This is the Dragbike by the way)

I decided to put a 1998 guage-cluster up front. (I've literally changed everything over to 1998 stuff anyway.) The only thing that isn't of 98 vintage is the engine. That brings me to my point, the 1998 speedometer sensor is mounted to the top of the crankcase.

The question of the day; Is there a way to get a 1997 speedometer sensor to work with a 1998 guage cluster?
Eveything plugs in and looks good. The tach works, the temp guage works, but the speedometer will not read over 10 MPH.

I don't need the speedometer, just the tach and temp, but if I can move or splice something to make it all work I would be much more happy.

And no, I can't change the cluster out for another one, the tach needle started springing around uncontrollably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-03-2006, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Wanna see my Speedo

I'm pretty sure that it can't work at all. The guage unit is looking for the signal from the sensor atop the transmission, and you don't have it.
I doubt there is any way to make it work.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-03-2006, 12:57 PM

Is the transmission boss on the '97 engine, so that you can drill and install the sensor there? Not familiar with those engine so don't know myself.

Likely an issue of number of sensor wheel notches (high/low points for Hall effect sensor to sense) and the speed (RPM) at which the shafts are turning. The transmission shaft might also be turning much faster than the gear reduced output shaft. (again, not looking at a picture, so making an assumption). What you need is a super-duper speedo-healer that can shift by orders of magnitude, not just by small percentages .... or, you might be able to cut more notches in your output shaft, if they wouldn't be too close together to get a good reading. Not the best solution, but adding a second notched wheel, of sufficient diameter and with right number of notches, onto the output shaft might be an option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-03-2006, 1:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt702
Is the transmission boss on the '97 engine, so that you can drill and install the sensor there? Not familiar with those engine so don't know myself.

That was the very first thing I looked for. I wanted to see if there was a way to mount the sensor onto the trans.
From what I can tell there isn't.
Oh well, it very well could be a lost cause. I may try and find a 1997 cluster available for me to disassemble. Then I can put the speedo in the 98 cluster.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page