PC3 Question... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 28

Send a message via AIM to jetbdude
PC3 Question...

I got a power commander ALREADY loaded with Dan Kyle map for the Arata full system. So far so good, I should be able to try the bike tomorrow weather permit..... I was thinking of going anyway on a dyno and have the whole thing double checked. I don't really care about the HP # I was more concerned about being constant on the whole rpm range....

The dyno shop that I want to go to is asking 350$ for a PC3 mapping, it's a flat rate, if it takes 10 minutes and the Kyle map is right, then I will have the feeling I just blew 350$...... Not sure what to do

The question is, is 350$ worth it considering I already have what I think is a good map....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:26 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: PC3 Question...

If you haven't ridden the bike with this setup yet, then how do you know it's a good map? It might be close, but I'd still have a dyno shop double check it
post #3 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

On;y you can answer whether or not it's worth it. But I can tell you my shop charges by the hour and it cost me $150 when I got my RC tuned last fall. I always watch out for flat rate pricing. Any shop that's going to stick a flat rate on something knows damn good and well what it's going to cost them. And I can promise you're not the one on the winning side! That being said, that map from DK is probably as close to, if not closer, to perfect than what the shop is going to get you...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
If you haven't ridden the bike with this setup yet, then how do you know it's a good map? It might be close, but I'd still have a dyno shop double check it
I would think it's a good map only because I thrust the man who did it
post #5 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpark460
On;y you can answer whether or not it's worth it. But I can tell you my shop charges by the hour and it cost me $150 when I got my RC tuned last fall. I always watch out for flat rate pricing. Any shop that's going to stick a flat rate on something knows damn good and well what it's going to cost them. And I can promise you're not the one on the winning side! That being said, that map from DK is probably as close to, if not closer, to perfect than what the shop is going to get you...
I think the price is way high, at 150 I would not be confused right now and just go for it, but they are the ONLY one over here with a good set-up, and it's still a 3:00 hrs drive for me.

I'll try the bike tomorrow and see I guess...
post #6 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:42 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbdude
I'm sure it's an excellent map and is spot-on...for the bike he made it on, which was not your bike. Even though you have the same bike and exhaust set up as the bike for which the map was made, it still isn't optimal for YOUR bike. They're all different. Not to say the map won't work, it'll be close. If you really want it to be perfect, you'll need a custom map. The going rate for a knowledgable tuner to make one is around $350 and it takes about 3 hours. Find someone who has the Dynojet Tuning Link software and knows how to use it.
When I got my Arata for my 929 from Dan, he only had a CA map, which I used till I got a custom. It was ok, but the custom got me 8 more ponies up top. The rest was surprisingly close, considering I have a 49 state bike.
HondaGal had a 49 state map from Dan for her 49 state 954 and it was very rich. The custom map was different throughout the entire rpm range. Big improvement.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Well, HondaGalToo I think you just cost me 350$

Thanks a lot, I guess that is exactly what I wanted to ear
post #8 of 13 Old 05-03-2006, 11:56 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

I think I would reload stock (saving the DK map) so as not to influence the results. Then compare the two after the fact

Must obey the sheep dog
post #9 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Yep, spot on Honda Gaal. And again, while your map was surprisingly close in many parts of the map, his bike may not be. It ain't about who made the map, it's about who's bike it was made for. As for the charge, many shops will charge a different amount depending on whether or not you get the PC from them to begin with. So, hard to shop around, get the cheapes PC you could, get the Arata best you could , then turn up to a dyno shop and say "now mao this real cheap" They ain't gonna wanna do it. And as with anyone in business Southpark, they are always on the winning side, HURROO??? It;s business,. Haha
post #10 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbdude
You did what to the poor guy......... It would be nice if you could talk them into letting you pay for a single run so that you could make the decision after you get a chance to at least look at your dyno curve. You may look at it and find that $350- is alot to spend to get rid of a small dip or something you did'nt even know was there untill being on the dyno. In all probability the map is going to be damn close to where it should be. But with that being said, any bike should always benefit from having a custom map made as long as the operator/tuner knows how to use his software and machine properly. Decisions, decisions.......
post #11 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 9:22 AM

Check with Nault's Honda when you're down here for the trackday. They have a Dyno Center. Not sure how busy they are though.
post #12 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Just came back from a ride. First impression is that mid-range and throttle response is a BIG improvement, I thought it would pull more at higher rpm though.... but it was my first ride in 6 months, the roads are nasty and it's still quite cold, so I took it real easy. I'm gonna go to that dyno shop on Monday and make sure.... What's 350$ when you just spent 1500$...

The real test will be next Wednesday at NHIS
post #13 of 13 Old 05-04-2006, 7:37 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to southpark460 Send a message via Yahoo to southpark460

Remember when Dynojet used to include a coupon for a free Dyno run in with their kits...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page