starter relay? Battery? or just get a new bike? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 9:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

starter relay? Battery? or just get a new bike?

i have a problem with my 04 1000rr. The bike pretty much died on me while ridding. I was able to push start it back up but can not get it to fire up since then. When trying to start it all I get is a clicking sound from the starter relay. Talking to a local mech i was told that was not the problem. I replaced the battery but not with the honda spec size and still nothing. Could the 1000 be sensitive enough to know when you are not using the correct battery? or is power just power no matter where it comes from? The bike also still dies while trying to start it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: starter relay? Battery? or just get a new bike?

What battery did you put in to it? Was it fully charged? An undercharged battery can sometimes cause the problems you're having. Don't assume a new battery comes fully charged...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 9 Old 05-04-2006, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

That could very well be the problem. I dont think the battery had enough time to fully charge. Should you still put new batteries after adding the electrolyte on a battery charger? Thanks for the quick reply by the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 11:57 AM

you should always charge a new battery fully...6-8 hrs. Its sets the mark for the battery's life span and performance. My 929 starter relay will clickity click when the battery is very low/dead...its normal. The question is...why did the original one go dead WHILE you were riding?

You may have a charging system problem. Also...you can run a battery dead a couple times and still re-charge them and they will be OK. more than 2-3 times and you might want to replace.

As far as batteries go....I have an Energizer brand battery from a Farm and Fleet store that cost me $32.00 compared to a new Yuasa at $110.00. Funny thing is.....the energizer is made BY Yuasa!! lol The Yuasa logo is on the battery,the instructional literature,and the acid pack. As long as the size and posts are a match and the Cranking Amps are spot on or very close...you are good to go.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 7:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I think that may very well be my problem. Thanks again fellas
post #6 of 9 Old 05-05-2006, 7:44 PM

Reputation Power: 27

If it died on you while riding, it is not your battery. Most likely a bad alternator or bad coil/coils. Good luck.

Ride Red
post #7 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 1:13 AM

If the bike died while riding it could be the Rectifier \ Regulator or the Stator.
It is possible that the Battery itself let loose, but not probable.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-06-2006, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewheelbandit
Thanks for the information. I think that may very well be my problem. Thanks again fellas

I literally just finished troubleshooting a stator / Reg/Rect problem and replaced my Stator. Lots of good info in old posts but if you need some assistance...PM me
post #9 of 9 Old 09-13-2010, 3:44 PM

i have the same 'clicking" noise coming from my bike, the battery is fully charged and i can push start it, i even tried joining the 2 posts on the relay and still nothing, same old clicking noise, but since i have an 83 nighthawk, its hard to find a brand new starter relay, any suggestions?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page