Ass-puckering moment last night - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Ass-puckering moment last night

Hey guys,
I was riding around with LucidDream57 (954) and some dude with an R1 last night. Anyway it was the first time I've ridden with Lucid since he's had a chance to get some seat time on the new bike. So we're being a little squidly (hyperlegal speeds on the highway, I was the only one in full gear though) and we're coming up to a nice long left sweeper and I look down and I'm doing an indicated 173 (stock, no speedo healer so probably in the 160s....anyway) and I'm not hanging off the bike enough to lean as much as I needed so I start grabbing brakes like no one's business (which causes it to stand up even more) cause there's a delivery truck in my lane that I'm fast approaching and the brakes give me this mushy feel (too much lever pull from when I started the ride (original fluid, a little over 3000 miles)) and I'm not slowing down fast enough and I'm starting to run wide right. Anyway, I thought I was going into the back of the truck when suddenly an exit ramp begins to the right and I was able to scoot by the truck and get back on the highway (reminded me of when I was at Summit Point - JC circuit and I came into turn 1 too hot and just ran off the course).

SOOOooooo....I need to: #1 slow down on public roadways and #2 upgrade my brakes. I already have Motul 600RBF cause I bought the Goodridge -2 lines for my F4 and never installed them. So I need pads and lines. What does everyone think about the Galfer superbike lines (the one's that are -2.8, i think, so a little better feel than -3 and not as crazy touchy as the -2's). And pads...how about the Ferodo XR's?

Also...was the mushy feel and increased lever travel caused by the lines swelling or the fluid heating up and compressing too much, or both? Oh yeah, does anyone know if Speedbleeders for an F4 will work on the RR (I have them too from the brake upgrade I never did on F4)?

Okay, sorry so long, just needed to get all that out and couldn't possibly tell the wifey about last night's festivities.

My list so far
Fluid: Motul 600RBF
Pads: Ferodo XR - okay for street and track?
Lines: Galfer Superbike
Goodridge SpeedBleeders: Can I reuse F4's (8mmx1.25) or do I need new ones? I've seen someplaces that say the 1000RR uses 7mm. Is that for the 06, or for the 04-05 too?
Master cylinder banjo bolt with bleeder: Do I need this? If so who makes it and where do I get one? Is it another SpeedBleeder?

Thanks y'all

Last edited by nd4spd1980; 05-05-2006 at 11:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: Ass-puckering moment last night

I hate funerals.

The lesson that you should learn here has nothing to do with equipment. I seriously doubt anything is wrong with the brake fluid, or that one has to hang off to turn a sportbike in a sweeper. Bottom line, you were riding well beyond your abilities and the limits of your equipment in a place where you could have killed or traumatized families.

The most important piece of equipment on your bike is supposed to be your brain.
post #3 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 AM

Slow it down racer man.

how did the brakes feel otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:09 AM

Reputation Power: 21

If you've really been on a racetrack, then you should know how your brakes feel at those speeds. It's guys like you that get me up at night while I'm on duty for wash downs.....
post #5 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 AM

"Wash downs", as in, the blood and brains?

post #6 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:19 AM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

And then there's this asshole...
post #7 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Charles Darwin

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Darwin (disambiguation). In his lifetime Charles Darwin gained international fame as an influential scientist examining controversial topics.

Charles Robert Darwin (12 February 1809 19 April 1882) was a British naturalist who achieved lasting fame by convincing the scientific community of the occurrence of evolution and proposing the theory that this could be explained through natural and sexual selection. This theory is now considered the central explanatory paradigm in biology.
He developed an interest in natural history while studying first medicine, then theology, at university. Darwin's five-year voyage on the Beagle and subsequent writings brought him eminence as a geologist and fame as a popular author. His biological observations led him to study the transmutation of species and, in 1838, develop his theory of natural selection. Fully aware that others had been severely punished for such "heretical" ideas, he only confided in his closest friends and continued his research to meet anticipated objections. However, in 1858 the information that Alfred Russel Wallace had developed a similar theory forced early joint publication of the theory.
His 1859 book On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or The Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life (usually abbreviated to The Origin of Species) established evolution by common descent as the dominant scientific explanation of diversification in nature. He was made a Fellow of the Royal Society, continued his research, and wrote a series of books on plants and animals, including humankind, notably The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex and The Expression of the Emotions in Man and Animals. Several recent reports of a mysterious apparition resembling Darwin recount its propensity to seek out riders of sport motorcycles who are traveling at "hyper-legal" speeds and introducing an ectoplasmic "mushiness" to their brake systems.
In recognition of Darwin's pre-eminence, he was buried in Westminster Abbey, close to William Herschel and Isaac Newton.
Attached Thumbnails
darwin.jpg‎  

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #8 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Okay, Okay, I get it...i know better and I usually don't ride this way, but it's been too many months since the last track day and it felt good to open it up. I know..."i won't see anymore track days if i continue to ride this way."

But anyway, my reason for posting was to get info on brake upgrades, not a lecture. I already know what I did was stupid. So, under normal commuting rides the brakes are great, but last night when I was pushing it, after a while there was more lever travel than I was comfortable having. I just wanted to know if that was because the lines were swelling (i.e. I need stainless) or if the fluid was compressing (i.e. change to the Motul), or if the pads were fading (i.e. need HH pads). So if anyone has any insight on this I would greatly appreciate it. But please save me the lectures, I already have a mother and a wife. Thanks and in the future I will do my part as to not become part of one of your wash downs. Sorry for upsetting anyone.
post #9 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:00 PM

Reputation Power: 50

SS lines and better fluid is always a good idea. A good and cheap(free) place to start is bleeding your brakes.

How old are your OEM pads? Have you ever changed them?

FWIW, I put HH pads, SS lines and synthetic brake fluid on my bike and the stopping power is simply unbelievable. Can't imagine what it would be like with a Brembo MC.
post #10 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

You're a phucking idiot. 173mph, indicated or not, on a public road is a death wish. You think leathers is going to save your ass at those speeds? You're a danger to me and everyone else on the road...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #11 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Rider
You're a phucking idiot. 173mph, indicated or not, on a public road is a death wish. You think leathers is going to save your ass at those speeds? You're a danger to me and everyone else on the road...
And Ferrodo pads suck.....IMO, buy SBS
post #12 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:31 PM

Reputation Power: 27

This whole story is weird to me. How many people do you know that have done multiple track days/schools/races, whatever, and then go on to ride 170mph on a public road?

What for??? It's not like it's fun or anything. Not like a track.
I just don't get it.

Ride Red
post #13 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

SS lines are now about one of the first things I'd put on a bike.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #14 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerblade
SS lines are now about one of the first things I'd put on a bike.
When I bought my blade, before I turned a wheel on it I changed the lines, pads, fluid, and mastercylinder. Couldn't imagine trying to slow that thing down with rubber lines.
post #15 of 53 Old 05-05-2006, 12:53 PM

And people wonder about insurance rates for 25 year olds...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page