Removing oil filter on 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Removing oil filter on 929

Ok, I'm doing an oil change on the 929 for the first time (prior to this I took the lazy route and had it done at a shop). I am having difficulty removing the oil filter and I don't want to damage anything. I thought it would be easy enough to loosen by hand, no luck. I got a strap-wrench, succeeded only in scratching the hell out of the oil filter and putting a lot of little dents in it. I know there's a special socket tool that has a Honda part number, but I wouldn't have thought it would be necessary.

Do these things get wrenched on pretty tight? Is it unusual to have some difficulty removing it? Is there something I'm supposed to remove first before the oil filter will unscrew? Or anything else I can do to loosen it?

Is it worth getting the oil filter socket? Is that a hard thing to find or are they generally available in most Honda dealerships?

Is there some other tool/technique to get the little mo-fo off?

I'm feeling a bit useless in the garage at this particular moment, defeated by an oil filter.

--- D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 11:57 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Removing oil filter on 929

Unless whoever really reamed it on there before, it should come off with a filter wrench. Are you trying to do it without removing the lowers? You could try that and make it a little more accessible this time.
I have a wrench that fits that filter and it comes right off for me...and I only hand tighten them back on with maybe a little turn of the wrench for good measure. It's been working for me.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 PM

I got my Honda specific oil wrench from a dealer, I think it was $15. Works great.

Yea, someone definitely torqued that bad boy on. I had the same problem when a garage changed my oil while replacing the oil pump and I couldn't budge that sucker when it came time to change it again. I had to go back to the garage and have them loosen it. I purchased (3) different types of filter wrenches, none of them worked, stripped the molded edges.

Edit: on my truck, not 929.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

I have the lowers off, so it's as accessible as it's going to get. But the strap-type wrench I'm using is a bit awkward in the tight space behind the exhaust pipes. Maybe I'll try a different style of filter wrench. Do you use the one with the socket attachment for ratchet handles, or the "plier" type filter wrench?

--- D
post #5 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:07 PM

If you have the new filter, you could take it down to your local Pep/Azone/Kragan and find the right filter socket for it. They're cheap, and with stock headers, easy to use.

The 929/954 filters should be installed with a torque wrench anyway, they get put on much tighter than "hand tight".

post #6 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:09 PM

I use the same one as SuperDave. No idea what it cost, but it should be fairly easy to find one...GoldWings use the same filter.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Well I think the torque spec is 15lbs. basically hand tightened enough so it doesn't leak. I do use a oil filter wrench I got from autozone "pliers". I also do not remove the fairings, you can access the filter from the lower right fairing, just make sure to place some cardboard over your headers to protect them from oil drips. I won't lie it is a bit tight in there when your trying to grapple the filter with oily fingers, but it does work. It sounds like the shop cranked the filter on, that's exactly why I do things myself. When I first changed my filter it was on really tight. I suggest the pliers and just put some muscle into it. It will come loose. You could always drive a screw driver through it and go that route if it's really bad. Was your oil pan bolt on tight as well?
post #8 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:17 PM

26N-m, or 20 ft-lbs.

20 ft-lbs is pretty tight, moreso than you'd normally do on a filter for your car.

post #9 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

26Nm? Yeah, that's more than hand-tight. Well, I guess it depends on your hands.

I'm picking up the oil filter socket from my dealer tonight, going to try that on. (FWIW, the dealer tells me that Honda and Yamaha use the same size filters and wrench, so I'm buying the cheaper Yammy socket.) That way at least I can get to the right torque spec. I like the idea of driving a screwdriver through it. After how I've mangled the filter with the strap wrench, I guess I'm past having to use elegant solutions....

--- D
post #10 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Also wipe a small amount of the old oil on the new filter gasket before installation. This will prevent the rubber from bonding to the mating surface (common problem on the first filter change in cars in the 80's)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #11 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster929
I am having difficulty removing the oil filter and I don't want to damage anything.

Is there some other tool/technique to get the little mo-fo off?
Punch a long-bladed screwdriver threw it, near the top of the filter. Twist to loosen.
post #12 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Punch a long-bladed screwdriver threw it, near the top of the filter. Twist to loosen.
Man...that works, but it is scary. But I once had a filter collapse with a strap wrench so I tried that. The metal tore away. Dad wasn't too happy when he had to have his work van towed to the shop.

post #13 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Man...that works, but it is scary. But I once had a filter collapse with a strap wrench so I tried that. The metal tore away. Dad wasn't too happy when he had to have his work van towed to the shop.
When I got my bike a few months ago, same thing. I did the screwdriver trick and the metal just tore away. I ended up getting the filter off with a big pair of vice grips. It wasn't pretty and oil was everywhere, but it came off.
post #14 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 10:48 PM

I usually just use a rubber glove. I steal em from under the kitchen sink. You can get a good grip and you dont get your hands dirty. My wife cant understand why she has to buy so many rubber gloves.
post #15 of 19 Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 PM

Reputation Power: 21

I've tried all of the above and found that a pair of channel locks do the trick, they completely destroy the old filter but who cares. Wrap the pipes with some foil first. I don't remove any plastic either. Get it from the left side of the bike and grab on, it'll only move a fraction of an inch at a time but once it's loose, grab it with a gloved hand and it's no problem.

There used to be a "how to" on this site somewhere.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...cbr-929rr.html

Here it is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page