Electrical Meltdown!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 4:19 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Electrical Meltdown!!!

CRAP!!!

For the last day or so I have been experiencing a strange burning plastic smell coming from the area of my rectifier. I smelled it a bit last night, but thought it might be the hot weather working the fans a lot making the rectifier smell a little. Didn't see anything wierd, but today it got worse.

When I got home from work it was stronger. I took off the seat and noticed the plastic cover over the wiring harness under the seat had discolored. I took it apart to find the problem. The connector from the stator that connects to the rectifier had melted, and the wires on both sides of the connector were now bare.

When I bought the bike the previous owner said it had recently failed and melted the same connector. One side had been replaced and was plugged into the remaining side that did have a little discoloration as I recall. I'm now wondering if the wires had been damaged causing heat build up.

It has run normally for 3000 miles. This must have just recently happened, possibly hurried alone buy the very high temperatures here in San Fran recently.

My plan is to cut the wires back several inches and replace the burnt sections of the wire on both sides. Then just use male and female ends to connect the rectifier and the stator back together.

What do you think? Might there be others problems that might have caused this? Bad ststor, bad rectifier - again. The battery came out of the bike with over 14 volts in it. so it is definatley charging.

No other electrical problems experienced. No extra electrically powered equipment added to the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
melted-1.jpg‎   melted-2.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 4:55 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Electrical Meltdown!!!

That has nothing to do with outside temps, you have an electrical problem. You mentioned that the last owner had the same thing happen, you have a short in a wire or component somewhere, you NEED to check each one of the wires in that harness and track down where the problem is. Something is drawing too much current for the wiring, this could be a hard short or a long term problem that heats and heats until a failure. I have seen this many times and it won't go away, you will replace it and it will fail again and again you need to find out the source of the problem.

Start by putting a meter on the wire and find out the draw, something might jump out as way too high then you can follow that wire and find out what is causing the problem, this can be a long process but if you troubleshoot one at a time you will figure it out. Find someone that is a good 12V troubleshooter, I installed car stereos, alarms and car starters for a few years and I had a good side business helping
mechanic friends track down electrical problems like this. Don't assume anyone that can turn a wrench knows how to find this problem.

Good Luck

post #3 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 12:38 PM

Reputation Power: 0

The rectifier died. Honda's will burn up the wiring harness near the rectifier when they go bad.

I've been in your shoes and I didn't like it. It is an easy fix though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-24-2006, 3:45 PM

Reputation Power: 14

definitly too much current through those wires the rectifier/regulator is the most probable cause
post #5 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 11:54 AM

Reputation Power: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack View Post
CRAP!!!

For the last day or so I have been experiencing a strange burning plastic smell coming from the area of my rectifier. I smelled it a bit last night, but thought it might be the hot weather working the fans a lot making the rectifier smell a little. Didn't see anything wierd, but today it got worse.

When I got home from work it was stronger. I took off the seat and noticed the plastic cover over the wiring harness under the seat had discolored. I took it apart to find the problem. The connector from the stator that connects to the rectifier had melted, and the wires on both sides of the connector were now bare.

When I bought the bike the previous owner said it had recently failed and melted the same connector. One side had been replaced and was plugged into the remaining side that did have a little discoloration as I recall. I'm now wondering if the wires had been damaged causing heat build up.

It has run normally for 3000 miles. This must have just recently happened, possibly hurried alone buy the very high temperatures here in San Fran recently.

My plan is to cut the wires back several inches and replace the burnt sections of the wire on both sides. Then just use male and female ends to connect the rectifier and the stator back together.

What do you think? Might there be others problems that might have caused this? Bad ststor, bad rectifier - again. The battery came out of the bike with over 14 volts in it. so it is definatley charging.

No other electrical problems experienced. No extra electrically powered equipment added to the bike.
My guess would be your regulator is bad. the regulator-rectifier (RR) regulator side is gone. if it was the stator it would not have a good charge on the battery.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page