After Market Air Filters - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 5:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

After Market Air Filters

Hi All,

I've read in this forum that K&N air filters flow less air than the stock Honda filter, and (therefore) contribute to a loss in power.

When I installed a K&N air filter on my 929, and subsequently my 954, I reckon I felt (yes - with the seat of the pants dyno ) an improvement in initial throttle response. That said, I have to admit I also installed a PC3USB at the same time which would have undoubtedly contributed to the percieved improvement.

So, I'm curious. Can anyone provide before and after statistics to prove or disprove the K&N question ?

Are K&N air filters just plain ordinary, or are all after market air filters bad ?, if not, which are the good ones .

Thanks, Spanky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 8:09 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Re: After Market Air Filters

You think this issue hasn't come up once or twice before?

Ok I'll quit being a wiseass now...but the search feature is cool
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/off...hlight=duramax

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #3 of 7 Old 06-27-2006, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Yep, did a search and found about 1000 threads to look at...and got bored after the 37th so figured I'd start a new one.

Thanks for the thread pointer - I wonder though, that test was conducted on a filter made for a diesel engine. Yes I know they still suck air through them etc, but I was under the impression that other members of this forum had actually tested the filters on their Fireblades...has anyone actually done that, or are the K&N filters made of the same stuff throughout the range and therefore the test results will be similar ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Yep, did a search and found about 1000 threads to look at...and got bored after the 37th so figured I'd start a new one.

Thanks for the thread pointer - I wonder though, that test was conducted on a filter made for a diesel engine. Yes I know they still suck air through them etc, but I was under the impression that other members of this forum had actually tested the filters on their Fireblades...has anyone actually done that, or are the K&N filters made of the same stuff throughout the range and therefore the test results will be similar ??
There were people here that tried them in their blades, but they all posted in the boring threads

As far as I know the media is the same - it's just the arrangement and # of pleats etc. For me - the amount of dirt it takes to clog one, and the amount of dirt it passes just means its a no no. It might "make more power" but how much does that 1hp cost you in maintenenance as compared to how much more you need that 1hp?

I've had mixed experiences with K&N, while they have improved economy for me in a van I had - ther was a fine silt in the airbox AFTER the filter once the K&N got in there, I didn't like that...thankfully it wasn't my van

what did you search for by the way? ..as in, what search terms? just wondering.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-28-2006, 5:20 PM Thread Starter

Hi SomeStrangeGuy,

well....maybe it wasn't 1000+, maybe it was closer to 250 threads .

I did a search on K&N that turned up nothing, and a search on Air Filter that found 250 threads (9 pages), even tried Air and Filter by themselves without any real luck.

Just figured that if I started a straight after market air filter thread we might get some good info on K&N, BMC, Honda Stock, etc...

Cheers, Spanky.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-28-2006, 5:40 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

ok well I'm running a BMC street filter and didn't notice any difference positive or negative. chose the street version over the race because I'd rather have more filtering as my engine isn't going to be rebuilt anytime that I can see in the future.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-29-2006, 1:37 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I did a search on K&N that turned up nothing, and a search on Air Filter that found 250 threads (9 pages), even tried Air and Filter by themselves without any real luck.

Just figured that if I started a straight after market air filter thread we might get some good info on K&N, BMC, Honda Stock, etc...

Cheers, Spanky.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page