Anyones 929 like this? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 1:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Anyones 929 like this?

My 01 929 3500miles....the clutch seems like it engages/disengages barely pulling it in,is this normal???..........And my gas seems a little tight to pull back.......I noticed the big difference when i rode my friends 03 gix1k. ...................Could there be a problem here???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 2:50 AM

adjust your clutch cable, the adjusters are right next to the lever. You don't even need a tool, they turn by hand. I was just having a problem finding neutral with the engine running, it was too much slack in the cable. Maybe yours has too little.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Rynz 929 : My 01 929 3500miles....the clutch seems like it engages/disengages barely pulling it in,is this normal???..........And my gas seems a little tight to pull back.......I noticed the big difference when i rode my friends 03 gix1k. ...................Could there be a problem here???
I've adjusted my clutch cable kinda tight rather than having alot of slack, pulls in about 1/3 travel (adjustment at clutch handle and clutch itself by middle right fairing). I preferred this as opposed to having slack that I'm pulling in unnecessarily, although I do find myself still pulling full travel sometimes out of habit. Unless there is some info on why this would be bad, I'll stay with that adjustment. Same with throttle, I don't like having extra slack where turning the throttle does nothing more than pick up slack before accelerating. I notice the majority of new bikes on the sales floor with alot of slack, (3/8' to 3/4'? I'm guessing here), I never understood this. Maybe someone can enlighten me on why this is the standard practice. Same with when I would get my bike back from dealer service, throttle and clutch adjusted way back out - too much for my taste.

Does your throttle seem difficult to twist? Is that what you were saying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 7:52 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Here's what the manual says about the amount of slack in the clutch:

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 7:59 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

and page 2...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 8:48 AM

If you adjust the clutch to where it begins to disengage as soon as you begin to pull the lever, you will prematurely toast the friction pads, as the clutch will always be on the verge of disengagement. I have seen this on several bikes and the owners can't seem to make the correlation between their 'custom' adjustment and why they are always having to replace the clutch stack. If you don't have at least 3/16' free play before it begins to disengage, you are always wearing the plates.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 8:57 AM

Yea, I probably should have made it clear that I do watch the clutch arm when adjusting the slack out - making sure I have not moved the arm, just taking as much slack up as possible.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 12:40 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
abtech : If you adjust the clutch to where it begins to disengage as soon as you begin to pull the lever, you will prematurely toast the friction pads, as the clutch will always be on the verge of disengagement. *I have seen this on several bikes and the owners can't seem to make the correlation between their 'custom' adjustment and why they are always having to replace the clutch stack. *If you don't have at least 3/16' free play before it begins to disengage, you are always wearing the plates.

Ride Red
post #9 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 1:40 PM

Reputation Power: 17

RE: the clutch adjustment. Keep in mind that you need some freeplay/slack. When the engine is cold--adjust the freeplay so that the you can insert a 'nickel edgewise' between the lever and the stop. Any less then that and you will glaze or prematurely end your clutch. Regarding the throttle, adjust the upper pull cable (the only one with any adjustment). I do this with the engine runnng (in netural) so that as I take the slack out--it is not so tight as to change the idle. YOu can take alot of the slack out--but again, resist the temptation to have no slack at all. When you are finished, turn the handle bar side to side (with engine running) and make sure the idle does not change.
Sugoi8
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2003, 4:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for all the info

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page