Help with engine ticking (upper engine (cold)) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2003, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Help with engine ticking (upper engine (cold))

I have a problem which is gonna cost me money.

Ok, I have a 2002 954, and I remember the manual saying something like 26,400KM when I get the valves adjusted.

I remember a long time ago like at 13,000km or less I could hear a ticking noise on the bike , like a car ticks when its old (valves I guessed)

The bike only does this when its cold. I let it warm up, and it went away.

Now it has gotten louder at 29,000km and it won't go away untill I rev the bike at say 7 grand for a while and then quiets down..

It ticks really loud when cold.... like theres play between the valve and the cam.

I brought it into my dealer I bought the bike from a few times to show them the noise it makes but every time I bring it in the bike is warm and they can't hear it, finally one day I let it sit for like 45 min or something and started it and it slightly ticked enough for them to hear it but they figured it was just the valves needed to be done.

Well at 29,000km I took the bike in to get the valves done and they took the top off and said my valves are fine, no need to adjust em, cam looks great...

my bike is 5 months off warrenty. They don't know what the ticking noise is. They phoned Honda and are waiting for a call tommorow to see if honda will allow warrenty the labor to take it apart to see whats up. If not I have to pay..

Valves are great, the bike ticks really fricken loud. Any ideas?

I read another post on here that a guys got a tick (like me) but it only comes on when the bike is warm. where as mine goes away when the bike is warm..

When you rev the bike up, the tick gets faster....

at 60$ an hour it would be expencive to have them open the motor up any help would be great...

By the way, bike runs great normally (When its warm) I have a hindle muffler and a PC3r with the erion map on it.

Oh one other thing, when you rev the bike up when it ticks there is alot of black smoke (unburnt fuel i am guessing) and a little blue as well (oil burning?)

But that all goes away when the bike is warm.. No more black smoke and no blue smoke.

Also when I ride around town and deaccelerate (once tick is gone and its warm) THere is no blue smoke or anything so I dont think its the rings.

I heard something about noisy injectors. any chance? help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2003, 11:04 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Cam chain tensioner or Injectors get my vote
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2003, 2:43 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Darrell262 : I have a problem which is gonna cost me money.

I remember a long time ago like at 13,000km or less I could hear a ticking noise on the bike , like a car ticks when its old (valves I guessed)

The bike only does this when its cold. I let it warm up, and it went away.
If the valves are within specs but the noise is related to rpm and only when cold, it could be piston slap. But that would be so unusual for Honda that I'd say it's unlikely.

Seeker
<a href="http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides" target="_blank">http://pages.infinit.net/mcrides</a>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2003, 6:31 AM
abs

I have the same ting on my ’02 954RR. At 15.000 km the engine ‘ticks’ quite heavily when cold. It stops once the temperature reaches around 60 degrees Celsius.

I contacted the dealer, but they just said I shouldn’t worry about it…
post #5 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 1:52 AM Thread Starter

Ok Update guys.

I got the bike back. 29300km on the bike.
They said the valves are in sync, no need to adjust them.

They said my cam chain is tight, and that the cam looks new.

I have always used their honda oil ither GN4 or the HP4 stuff.

So I still get this ticking when the bike is cold. ticking like valves making noise. The ticking is in the upper half of the motor. They said my bike is over the warrenty, but they phoned Honda and honda has agreed to pay for the fix as long as its their parts that malfunctioned.

If they deem it rider abuse, I have to pay for labor and everything (whole cost), but I don't have much choice cause the noise bothers me, its can be heard by the other guys riding when we are at a light etc...

The noise when warm is still there (I can hear it) but not very loud.

I just talked to another friend who bought a 2003 954, and he as 3500km on it..

His bike is starting to make the same noise as my bike has for a long time. just quieter then mine.

Oh and my friend jay who owns a 2003 600rr says his is starting to tick a tiny bit..

What gives..

I am sure I'll get them to tak it apart and I'll get stuck with &#036;60/h labour and it wont be covered. Rider abuse I am sure they will say.

Piston slap probley.. I took a look at my old plugs and they look fine, some carbon (slight) build up on the side of the tip of the plug, but they are blackish/brownish.

The honda dealer in town has no clue what the noise is, and they said that honda canada has no clue to what it could be as well.

I run 91 octane gas Esso or Chevron which hasto my knowledge no or very little oxygenated gas or methenalhol
post #6 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 7:15 AM

Small exhaust leak? They tend to go away as the bike heats and metal expands to tighten up the leak.

Just a thought...
post #7 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 11:46 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
CanyonCarver : Small exhaust leak? *They tend to go away as the bike heats and metal expands to tighten up the leak.

Just a thought...
Canyon Carvers advice get's my vote as well! You should at least check the manifold nuts. A small exhaust leak can sound VERY metallic like if it's close to the valve/combustionchamber..

My gallery

and do check out Freeloader My sister is the voice
post #8 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 1:31 PM

True, back in the day I found that a header leak sounds an aweful lot like a valve tick.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 1:47 PM

Yeup I thought I had something wrong with my clutch - used a stethescope and it sounded loudest there, but it turned out to be a leak on the #4 exhaust port. *A lot of wasted time in disassembly, troubleshooting, but hey...I am glad its something simple and nothing detrimental.

Good luck with your search, but check here first.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-21-2003, 8:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok, right on I'll check the bike for an exaust leak.

Never really though about that.

Bike still runs great, just the tick. :-)
post #11 of 13 Old 09-26-2003, 4:02 PM

My bike has always had that cold tick. *From the first day started. *It still sounds like a chainsaw with only 4g miles. It is a 2002 954 with only PCIII and never beaten up.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-26-2003, 4:11 PM

An easy check for exhuast leaks is to put your hand over the muffler end at idle. You'll hear if it's leaking.

From what I read, I'd guess an exhaust leak too, but your dealer should've easily found that.

post #13 of 13 Old 09-26-2003, 5:04 PM

When the dealer took a look at your valve clearances, did they inspect the cam lobe height? I checked mine after 41,900 miles and some of my exhaust cam lobes were worn down as much as .030' below the service limit spelled out in the service manual. I don't think this would cause ticking like you're describing, but it might help to get them to cover it as a warranty issue.

Keep in mind that the 929/954 have titanium valves that seat on stainless seats, which are inserted into an aluminum head. These metals expand at very different rates. It's my belief that's why the valves tick when cold.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page