Starting help advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 3:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Starting help advice

So yesterday I go down to the garage, thumb the starter and the bike (02 954) fires up, first time like it always does.

Tonight I go to start the bike and it starts to turn over like usual. However it suddenly made a sound very similar when you kickstart a dirt bike and the engine kicks back and lifts you off the ground. After this happened, the starter will spin, but it sounds different and wont start.

Since I live on a hill I figured I'd bump start it. Well I went half way down the hill and nothing each time (yes in second gear and at least 10 MPH each time).

So I get the bike back in the garage and keep trying to start it and nothing... I check all the fuses, remove the tail and check all the wiring and make sure nothing shook loose and became unplugged, remove the ECU to smell for any burning (I dont have voltage meter.. so this is all I can do).

I put the battery on a battery tender for a few hours to make sure that isnt the case. I keep trying to start the bike and I can see vapor coming out of the can and the garage is stinking like fuel. The starter is spinning, but it still just doesnt sound right. I get a couple of *chug chug chug* moments where for an instant I thought the bike was going to start.. but no dice.

Has anyone had these symptoms? Any suggestions would be great before I give up and take it to a shop.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-14-2006, 3:54 AM

Re: Starting help advice

Check the plugs. You could have actually blown a plug out of the head or possibly blew the plug itself apart.
That's a rare possiblity, but it is a possibility.

The Drag Busa had that similar problem at the track. I doubt you would have blown the injectors off the engine as we had happen though. A turbo will do that at times.

Without actually seeing the bike it's hard to tell. Can you hear anything rattling within the engine? Cam Chain, Valves, etc???

Obviously you have the starter bumping the motor over again - right????
post #3 of 6 Old 08-15-2006, 2:59 AM Thread Starter

I'm about to check the plugs tomorrow. I did some more bump starts and higher speed and the engine just chugged along like i was coating along in gear with the kill switch off.

There is no odd engine noise though. Everything sounds just normal.

A friend of mine thinks its the CDI box, but I just barely broke 8k miles on the bike.. I guess that'll be the next item down the line to check.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-21-2006, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok just thought I'd write an update... very very odd.

So I left the bike alone for a couple of days. A friend of mine comes over who's pretty good with engines and I asked if he'd take a quick look. He says "try and start the bike", so I thumb the starter and the bike jumps to life. The engine is stumbling and stalls twices, but it started! wtf... So after the 3rd attempt, feather the gas and keep the engine alive. Once the bike is up to operating temp, its purring along like it normally does. strange.

So yesterday I thumb the starter and the bike fires up, first time like always and is idling as smooth as butter.

I'm so confused as to what happened to begin with. Has anyone every heard of anything like this?
post #5 of 6 Old 08-21-2006, 2:35 PM

Bad gas? If sitting in the tank for a long time...
post #6 of 6 Old 08-21-2006, 3:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Fouled/flooded plug(s) before. After letting the bike sit for a few days it dried out enough to fire.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page