'04 U.S. Model Preview - Page 4 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: '04 U.S. Model Preview

Frankly, I'm relieved. It's not so beautiful that I'm in any danger of spending time scheming how to get one, and it's not so ugly that it degrades the 'blade lineage.

The pictures of the thing in motion on the track are stunning, and they always look better in 3-d.

As to the power deficit vs Yamaha or Suzuki, those who buy a bike based on these claimed numbers are kidding themselves. Even if they're true, which is doubtful, there's more to a bike than power and weight specs. Balance, Handling, comfort, reliability, styling ( subjective, of course), lineage in relation to a historical / successful racing program, and aftermarket support are key to any of us that intend to keep these bikes around more than a couple of years.

I could have purchased any of the liter bikes in '02. The Suzuki and the Triumph didn't fit my short reach. The R1 and the 954 were pretty equal in the above categories, but when it came time to write the check, I bought the Honda as usual. I trust 'em.

BTW, Booth - Both my VFR and My 954 are mostly black, and there''s no particular downside other than visibility.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now I'm just adding this post because I thought it was pretty interesting to the liter wars that is coming this year. We already know that the 03' Suz 1000 has set a bench mark for performance, but the competition is gonna be tough. This is what was quoted in Road Rag from Jamie Hacking;

When asked about the new YZF-R1, Hacking could not hide his enthusiasm. “That thing’s pretty nice. (laughs) It’s a small motorcycle! It’s smaller than my 600. I was just tickled to death when I sat on it. I don’t like big motorcycles. They don’t suit my riding style. I sat on that thing and I was like, Holy ####! The seat where it meets the tank is only three inches wide. It’s like a damn dirt bike with street tires. It makes that thing (the existing YZF-R1) feel like a Gold Wing. It’s very impressive. They did a good job with it. I think it’s going to give us a really good base to work with.”

Hacking said he hadn’t ridden the bike yet (there’s only one pre-production model in America, being used for brochure photos), but he did stop to take his own pictures of the bike during Monday night’s ceremony.

“Yeah, I took pictures of it to show my buddies back home, because they’ve all got R1s,” said Hacking. “I was pretty impressed with it. I called ‘em up and told them they better get rid of them so they can get this one.”
post #48 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:11 PM

BTW, I gotta get that 04' NSR50RR for my little one. *I know he's only 16 mos. old, but it needs to be broken in before rides it. *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:16 PM

Quote:
roadrunner954 : As of RIGHT NOW, I would have to say I'm a little let down by the 'Presentation'? of the new 1000RR. Unless the power ratings are off the chart (Compared to the new R1) I dont think I'll upgrade to this Fireblade anytime soon.

I thought Honda had a great chance to take back the 'streets' from the R1 boyz, but I think they fell short, IMHO.

I was thinking about a new bike for next year (spring) but I seriously think I'm leaning to the R1.
the new RR just does not seem near as impressive as I would have thought. I doubt I will run out and buy and R1, but I will be in no hurry to sell my 954 and upgrade to the 1000RR. I like the looks of my 954 better. And I like the looks of the 04 R1 better than this Blade. RC211V inspired or not, it just doesnt look right.

I hope I am wrong, but it does looks like Honda fell short AGAIN!!!

post #50 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:19 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
CBRVFR : Frankly, I'm relieved. It's not so beautiful that I'm in any danger of spending time scheming how to get one, and it's not so ugly that it degrades the 'blade lineage.
I agree, I'm just saying that 'impressive' performance numbers would make up for.............somthing. I dont know what it is, but I was expecting more.....Visually?

I'm possivitve the bike overall is more then satisfactory, but ......yet less then steller?

I put the pic up for my wallpaper in hopes it will grow on me.

"Take a look at what I'm wearing, people. You think anybody wants a roundhouse kick to the face while I'm wearing these bad boys? Forget about it."
post #51 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 1:58 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
krash954 : Quote (roadrunner954 @ Sep. 11 2003, 11:53am)As of RIGHT NOW, I would have to say I'm a little let down by the 'Presentation'? of the new 1000RR. Unless the power ratings are off the chart (Compared to the new R1) I dont think I'll upgrade to this Fireblade anytime soon.

I thought Honda had a great chance to take back the 'streets' from the R1 boyz, but I think they fell short, IMHO.

I was thinking about a new bike for next year (spring) but I seriously think I'm leaning to the R1.
the new RR just does not seem near as impressive as I would have thought. I doubt I will run out and buy and R1, but I will be in no hurry to sell my 954 and upgrade to the 1000RR. I like the looks of my 954 better. And I like the looks of the 04 R1 better than this Blade. RC211V inspired or not, it just doesnt look right.

I hope I am wrong, but it does looks like Honda fell short AGAIN!!!
The 600RR fell 'short' too in hp/weight and who knows what other classes. *Look at which one got MOTY award. *Hp is not everything! That is why Honda is ahead of the game. They figured that out a long time ago while the other guys are still going for horsepower. It's the same thing as American car manufacturers saying that you need CI's for horsepower. Then a Jap car w/ an engine that has less displacement then a 2 liter of Pepsi comes along and smokes their 'muscle car'

post #52 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:15 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
ND4SPDSHO : The 600RR fell 'short' too in hp/weight and who knows what other classes. *Look at which one got MOTY award. *Hp is not everything! *That is why Honda is ahead of the game. *They figured that out a long time ago while the other guys are still going for horsepower. *
That's true for the street. Any of the 600s will do all you ask and more. But if they want to sell some middleweight racebikes, they'd better figure out where to drop 30 lbs.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #53 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:22 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to QuikMike

Quote:
ccwilli3 : Quote (QuikMike @ Sep. 11 2003, 11:23am)I'm gonna have to agree...the Euro RC is still, far and away, my favorite scheme...it's something about the white/silver/black that is so right...the American scheme just can't compare...
BULL$HIT!

This is the same mutha humper that sat in my cubicle with a T.W.O. magazine testing twins and told me he wasn't 'feeling' the euro scheme SP2... *

My how things change, 6 months ago, the american scheme was WAY better... *
I am allowed to change my mind, right?!?

"Make your next move your best move"

-The King of the South, T.I.-

My BlogSpace
post #54 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:28 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
ND4SPDSHO : The 600RR fell 'short' too in hp/weight and who knows what other classes. *Look at which one got MOTY award. *Hp is not everything! *That is why Honda is ahead of the game. *They figured that out a long time ago while the other guys are still going for horsepower. *It's the same thing as American car manufacturers saying that you need CI's for horsepower. *Then a Jap car w/ an engine that has less displacement then a 2 liter of Pepsi comes along and smokes their 'muscle car'
Well, not exactly. Your example doesn't take into account the power to weight ratio that is really the determining factor in acceleration tests. The sentiment that 'there is no replacement for displacement' is true under certain circumstances, such as in cases where all other things are equal (same chassis and other components). Forced induction has gone a long way to make little engines compete (power-wise) with big ones, but in the end, it comes down to power to weight and traction.

But you are absolutely right; power is not everything. There is a point (and I think these bikes are close) where you can have too much power...so much that it's so difficult to maintain traction (i.e. 'get the power down') that the same bike with less power would actually be easier to ride fast.

Fellow Honda lovers, I'm thinking we're back in that same boat, having to pull out the 'total balance' and 'power isn't everything' and 'yeah, but it's functional' arguments to explain away the shortcomings of the machine. I would like to have seen Honda put out a bike that needs no excuses.

Then again (and like I implied before), until we get a chance to try them out for ourselves, we're a bit ill-equipped to argue these points with adequate information.
post #55 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:29 PM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
tigerblade : That's true for the street. *Any of the 600s will do all you ask and more. *But if they want to sell some middleweight racebikes, they'd better figure out where to drop 30 lbs. *
You ARE aware that the 600RR has won a race or two this year, right?
post #56 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Holeshot @ Sep. 11 2003, 10:56am)Boy they really went all-out on the RC by adding the sticker kit.. whoo hoo.. *
Okay, you little Ducatista snob, I have to agree with you on that point. *But, let me reiterate, I REALLY like the fact that the frame and swingarm are unpainted.
I won't argue with you there. I would not throw an RC out of bet for leaking some oil, I just wish they'd taken it to a new level.. or at least a new graphics sceme.. something.. anything. Maybe I'm wrong but it's US colors are unchanged since 2000, right?
post #57 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:32 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
TAZ : Quote (tigerblade @ Sep. 11 2003, 1:15pm)That's true for the street. *Any of the 600s will do all you ask and more. *But if they want to sell some middleweight racebikes, they'd better figure out where to drop 30 lbs. *
You ARE aware that the 600RR has won a race or two this year, right?
They have in the AMA for sure. But we all know that doesn't translate to club racing. It'll sell streetbikes but it won't sell racebikes. The R6 and the Gixxer pretty much dominate the scene, at least around here. I hope it changes, don't get me wrong.

post #58 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:35 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Holeshot : I would not throw an RC out of bet for leaking some oil, I just wish they'd taken it to a new level.. or at least a new graphics sceme.. something.. anything. * Maybe I'm wrong but it's US colors are unchanged since 2000, right?
Same basic colors since 2000. There's a little difference on the 2002 (black tail, etc.) but not much. Guess they want it to look like the AMA racebikes. I really wish they would at least offer the black/white in addition.

post #59 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:45 PM

Quote:
tigerblade : Quote (Holeshot @ Sep. 11 2003, 12:30pm)I would not throw an RC out of bet for leaking some oil, I just wish they'd taken it to a new level.. or at least a new graphics sceme.. something.. anything. * Maybe I'm wrong but it's US colors are unchanged since 2000, right?
Same basic colors since 2000. *There's a little difference on the 2002 (black tail, etc.) but not much. *Guess they want it to look like the AMA racebikes. *I really wish they would at least offer the black/white in addition.
Sell your RC now, as you aren't worthy of it. 2000-2002 models have the same graphics/paint. In 2003, TB, they went with a little different style wing, different color tail and upper cowl. I'm ashamed of you
post #60 of 92 Old 09-11-2003, 2:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
booth23 : Sell your RC now, as you aren't worthy of it. *2000-2002 models have the same graphics/paint. *In 2003, TB, they went with a little different style wing, different color tail and upper cowl. *I'm ashamed of you
'03 I meant. The '02 got the new swingarm, frame and aluminum fairing stay.

Worthy of the RC? Probably not. Honda should give me an RC211V...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page