929 no likey 6th gear - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-11-2003, 6:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: 929 no likey 6th gear

Sometimes when riding my 929 it does'nt want to go into 6th gear...it's almost like it's stuck in 5th or something....and idea of what's going on and how to fix it? (It only happens once in awhile, like once a month)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-12-2003, 5:09 AM Thread Starter

Guess it's a dumb question
post #3 of 7 Old 09-12-2003, 6:26 AM

i think i faced this too, at first i thought it was just me.... guess not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-12-2003, 10:28 PM

At least now I know I'm not the only one who has had this happen. Seems like the times mine has done it I was sort of lazily, mindlessly shifting into 6th. Don't have the problem if I shift quicker, it seems.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-12-2003, 10:59 PM

Hey thought I would get my man to jump in here and help ya out.....he's been a mechanic for over 15yrs and has an idea of what it might be.

'Usually, when it up shifts through the lower gears fine and its one specific gear involved its usually a shift fork. Not very easy to get to but from what I understand it is accessable from just the oil pan. Don't quote me on that, I am not 100% positive but pretty sure you can access it from there. If your bike has a bunch of miles on it, it could be a shift fork bushing as well. What happens with the shift fork and bushing, is that they wear together and create a groove in the shift fork. Imagine rubbing a rock on a piece of wood, back and forth, back and forth and you get the idea of what I am talking about. Other typical problems are shift drums, once again normally isolated to high mileage bikes. But if it were a shift drum you would have a problem in all the gears both in up and down shifting. But here is the bad news, if the shift fork cannot be accessed from the bottom of the oil pan, it means you have to drop the motor and split the cases. Not for the faint of heart! Best advice take it in to an experienced mechanic to check and see if he can do it from the oil pan, unless you are able to drop it yourself and see. I am pretty positive it will be visible from the oil pan, its just the casting webs may cause an obstruction to getting the shift fork out. As a possible quick fix, use a 20-50W full synthetic oil and it should smooth out some of your shifting problems. If it doesn't, you know what your looking at. Hope I helped out a bit. Any other problems or questions just contact Alex and she'll let me know. Adam '
post #6 of 7 Old 09-13-2003, 4:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2003, 2:38 PM

'No Problem, anytime'

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page