Brake Caliper wont go back on? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 3:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Brake Caliper wont go back on?

I took my forks out for an oil change, no problems, then I had to put them back on my bike- this is the first time I have done this but i just followed the Haynes manual-- everthing was going ok, forks back on, wheel back on, lefthand caliper back on (left as I look at bikes' front headlight), but when I tried to put the right hand caliper back on to the wheel it would not fit, I need about 2mm more cleareance in order to squeese the caliper onto the disc? What have i done wrong?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 3:21 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Re: Brake Caliper wont go back on?

you wiggled the right caliper as you installed it. The extra space you gained on the right caliper was taken from the left caliper. Take a large flat screwdriver, put it between the pads and twist till you get more clearence. Then install.

When talking left and right, always do it while sitting on the bike. It works for cars also. The only exeption is when working on a car engine. It is always refered to as looking at the engine from the front of the car. Even for transverse engines.

Ride Red
post #3 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 3:23 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Be careful with the screwdriver otherwise you'll chew up your pads. I use a piece of wood to pry the pads apart.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 3:44 PM Thread Starter

thanks, but its not the pads- the pads go around the disc--no problem. its when i try to position the caliper on the lower casting ( where i screw it onto the lower casting with semi permanent threadlock?) I cant get the caliper on to the lower casting because of the 2mm non-clearance? i think i havent lined one of the forks up correctly????
post #5 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 4:11 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Maybe you didn't seat the axle correctly when reinstalling the wheel? You have to pump the forks up/down a few times before tightening the pinch bolts.

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #6 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 4:34 PM

Do you have the spacers in the wheel on the correct sides?
post #7 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ550 View Post
lefthand caliper back on (left as I look at bikes' front headlight),
That makes that one the right caliper.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

i think i have, but i have raised the forks in the top yoke about 8mm, could this be a problem?
post #9 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 4:44 PM

Quote:
i think i have, but i have raised the forks in the top yoke about 8mm, could this be a problem?
Shouldn't. I'd double check the spacers.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 5:32 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
thanks, but its not the pads- the pads go around the disc--no problem. its when i try to position the caliper on the lower casting ( where i screw it onto the lower casting with semi permanent threadlock?) I cant get the caliper on to the lower casting because of the 2mm non-clearance? i think i havent lined one of the forks up correctly????
Hi CJ550,

where exactly is the "2mm non-clearance" ? - front to back on the caliper mounting bolts ? up/down on the caliper/disc itself ?, or in/out on the caliper mounting bolts ??

Your guess that you have not lined something up correctly is probably accurate. Assuming it's an alignment issue with the caliper mounting bolts I'd suggest that you back-off all the nuts/bolts on the lower fork legs (axle pinch bolts, R/H caliper, etc - just crack them off 1/2 turn or so don't undo them completely) to allow you to wriggle things around a bit which should enable you to manoeuvre the caliper into the correct spot - once you get it there don't do the mounting bolts up tight until you've bounced the front end up and down a bit and rolled the bike backwards and forwards to try and get everything stettled back into place correctly. Then follow the Haynes manual for the tightening sequence, then tighten up your caliper mounting bolts...hopefully that'll get you sorted.

Cheers, Spanky

P.S. Raising the fork legs 8mm would not have caused this problem - so long as they are both exactly even...from another angle though 8mm is a fair change - I did 5mm on my 929 and found it was a good compromise, do you have a steering damper fitted ?.

Last edited by Spanky; 08-21-2006 at 5:35 PM. Reason: Additional Info
post #11 of 12 Old 08-21-2006, 6:43 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Ah! got it.
Loosen up the axil pinch bolts on the LEFT side (the side that you are having trouble with. Also would be the driver's side if it were a car built for the U.S.). Bounce the suspension a few times, or simply pop out the fork bottom a bit. Install caliper. After you install both sides, keep the pinch bolts loose on the left side (the side without the bolt that goes into the axil), with the front brakes applied, bounce the forks up and down a few times, then tighten the pinch bolts. You're all set.

Ride Red
post #12 of 12 Old 08-22-2006, 5:30 AM Thread Starter

man i am stupid sometimes- nedro you were right, all i had to do was push back the pads and it sliped back on no problems! sorry about my previous post when i said it wasnt to do with the pads cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page