Bar risers - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-23-2006, 8:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 21

Bar risers

I love my new (to me) '03 954 rr.

I have one pretty big problem with it though. I am a diminutive 5' 7" tall. I can sit on the bike all right, the balls of my feet are on the ground, which was little different from my old Nighthawk. The bars are another story.

I am quite stretched out on the bike, and cannot realistically support myself using legs and back muscles. I certainly don't mind getting a little sore while riding like a madman (or mad scientist, a bit closer to the truth). However, my throttle hand falls asleep after 10-20 minutes, which would seem to be quite dangerous. Fortunately I'm left handed, so this doesnt' affect my love life.

I would like to ameliorate this perilous situation through the addition of bar risers, to make my position a bit more comparable to all you tall, handsome, and no doubt well-endowed gentlemen.

Through net searches I have found Convertibars and Helibars, both of which are advertised to fit on the 954. I have two questions for the collective wisdom of the forum (except for that guy from Ann Arbor)

1. Are there other alternatives I should consider besides these two?

2. Between these two, which do you guys (and babes) recommend?

Mondo thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-23-2006, 8:23 PM

Re: Bar risers

The Heli's work pretty good for me. If I saw the converti-bars before I bought the Heli's, I'd have purchased them instead. They are more expensive but I like the options available.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-23-2006, 8:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

"The guy from Ann Arbor" is 5 foot nothin' and had pretty severe carpal tunnel syndrome before surgery. I have Helis on the VFR and had them on the 954. Great company, high quality products. The angle of the bars is changed, and the bars are wider. They provide significant relief.

The convertibars are interesting, but the degree to which they can be positioned is limited by the tank and the fairing, so I wonder how much more useful they actually are.

The Helis come with longer throttle and clutch cables.

Hope that was helpful, Columbus-boy. I tried to use small words.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-23-2006, 10:52 PM

Reputation Power: 14

i'm the same height and ride everyday, and one thing that helps me is to grip the tank with my legs and you can take alot of pressure of your hands.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-24-2006, 8:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, even the Ann Arbor guy.

Whatdya know, something useful out of there. Who would've thought?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-26-2006, 9:47 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I put a set of convertibars on my 2001 929. I really like the wider/flatter stance of the bars, plus the added height and fearward movement. BUT, there are some considerations with the 929. I bought my set on E-bay, it was a kit for a ZX-10 Kawi. I went to convertibars website and checked out the specs to see what the differences were, and I didn't see any except the brake line. I missed the part about the 929 clamps being the "short web for bikes with tight fairings". The thing is I don't think that the shorter web size ( about 1/4") would make much of a difference. If you look at the clearance between your fork tubes and the air intake covers there is not enough room for the convertibar clip on tubes to move through their range of movement. I took my covers off, I am riding the bike for awhile to decide if I will keep these bars. If so I will modify the covers to fit and cover then with carbon fiber.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-26-2006, 9:50 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Plus you need to add longer brake lines, my Galfers were about $100. And reroute the clutch cable. And lengthen the horn wires or relocate the horn itself.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page