Brake Noise? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-24-2006, 5:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Brake Noise?

I've check my pads and they have alot of bite left, and all my fluids. but the front brake is still making this squeaking sounds. It sounds alot like my old bmx bike back in middle school. Previous owner barley rode the bike and before I purchased it, was being stored. could it be the fact that is hasn't been rode recently? but after purchase, I rode her 500 miles and im still gettin this noise. It only happends in slow stops. Right before I stop. for example. Theres a red light.... I would start braking and when i get almost 6-8 feet away from the crosswalk to stop, I start hearing it....

any help? replace the pads and rotors?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-24-2006, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Re: Brake Noise?

How much lever pressure do you have to use ? - if its excessive I'd think about replacing the pads and deglazing the rotors.

If the brakes work fine, and lever pressure feels about right (relative to the amount of stopping power) then you could probably just try deglazing the pads/rotors by either :

1. running a series of hard braking stops, making sure you get the brakes nice and hot - best done on your favourite bit of twisty tarmac as part of a 'spirited' ride, or

2. having the rotors sand/bead blasted, or

3. spending 10 minutes a side with some fine emery cloth/wet'n'dry sand paper and rubbing the shine off them as best you can...not pretty, but it works - and if you use a fine paper you will not leave any permanent marks.

Cheers, Spanky.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-25-2006, 4:07 AM Thread Starter

It makes that sound only when on the brakes lightly, like when I'm about to put my foot down at a stop light. Where I'm light on the brakes about to stop completely. but the harder pressure before the stop, I hear no sound. The brake works fine, but I don't want it to be a problem later on that will bite me in the ass. And Spanky, I'll choose option number 1.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-25-2006, 4:43 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Try lightly sand the rotors, that should do it.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-25-2006, 9:59 AM

agreed, totally sounds like a a glazing issue. i would go with the hard stops first to see if you can break down the glazing before you go through all the other suggestions. (good suggestions by the way)
post #6 of 11 Old 08-25-2006, 6:45 PM

A motorcycle tech told me to ride the bike and drag the brake lever for 15-20 seconds at speed while on the throttle to keep it at or around 40 mph. It works
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2006, 2:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
A motorcycle tech told me to ride the bike and drag the brake lever for 15-20 seconds at speed while on the throttle to keep it at or around 40 mph. It works

Are you serious? where did he work? Yamaha?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2006, 2:23 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

try the emery cloth. clean the discs with 99% or 90% alcohol.

I would also inspect the pads, pad retainers (make sure they are not broken and seated properly), and calipers. clean everything with the alcohol.

good luck.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2006, 12:34 PM

He graduated from MMI, worked at two Honda service depts. You won't laugh or think dumb of once you try it. And for the record... Yamaha makes great bikes :p
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2006, 7:42 PM

I get the same noise. Drives me nuts some times, but like fastrr said, get up to speed and warm them up good and it will do the trick. I've tried cleaning the rotors, sanding the rotors, everything, but it always comes back. Just get the pads good and heated up, and it goes away. And sometimes, the commute to work doesn't involved enough speed or hard braking to get it done.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2006, 5:53 PM

Reputation Power: 16

If you go with Option 1, then dragging the front brake for a little while to get the pads & rotors nice and warm before you hammer them is a good idea as it will give you the best chance of burning the glaze off - that's not to say you ride for half an hour with two fingers on the front level though .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page