Crashability - Honda vs. the rest - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Crashability - Honda vs. the rest

OK guys lets face it if you ride on the track the chances are you are going to low side the bike a few times, if you are lucky you will not high side it.

I have noticed that the Honda’s and Suzuki’s do alright in the past, but I have been told that this year there are a lot of New R6's being totalled in relatively minor accidents on the street, I have not seen any on the track so I can not speak for that.

So I guess what I am trying to say is I think that Yamaha's new technology that allows them to make frames 30% thinner and stiffer, may help the weight but is not good for those that crash it.

What do you all think about this, with the new power to weight race that is going on, are we shooting are selves in the foot for power to weight ratios we will never use?

If I was between the 600rr and the r6 I would pick the 600rr because in can go down and still be repairable as for the 1000rr and the R1 I have always been a Honda then Suzuki fan whether it right or wrong that is another opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:47 AM

Reputation Power: 31

The new lighter bikes, including the 929/954 do not crash well for the reasons you mentioned. They are very light and it seems that things just bend very easily. In the case of the 929/954, the cover grinds off easily, dumping oil all over the place.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:52 AM

I too have read of R6s falling off of race stands and having them measured by GMD or someone and they be off their previous measurements... *Really tweakable frames! *So what happens when you actually CRASH [email protected]!?

I can't speak for 929/954s but I do know of several RC51s that have been crashed REPEATEDLY and there has been ZERO variance in the measurements made after really sizeable crashes (not just lowsides). *Given that the 1000RR may end up being heavier, it could be just as strong...

Say all you want about heavy bikes (RC51, et al), there are benefits and a strong frame really is one of them...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:55 AM

The lighter, faster bikes we wanted are here, but along with them comes increased fragility, a by product of having less material doing more work.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:56 AM

I thought the idea was not to crash?

(j/k)

Seeing some pics of 'totalled' bikes by insurance company's standards, I don't think there will be much change as to the newer models. *I was amazed at what appeared to be minor damages translated into totalled condition. <shrug>

Edit: looks like you're not talking about insured bikes, rather track bikes. I'll go back to sleep now.

post #6 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 11:57 AM

Well, I haven't had my bike measured since my crashes, but I have sent it through a low side (off track where it flipped from one side to the other sliding through the grass) and a high side (hit hard enough to roll up onto its top and come back down on the same side). I have visually inspected things and other than my subframe being tweaked and some grinding that occured on the swingarm it seems just fine. It is possible that things are tweaked a little bit but I sure can't tell it.

My biggest complaint with the 929 so far is the fact that if it goes down on the left side then you can pretty much count on cracking the stator cover and dropping oil all over the place. The good news is a replacement cover and gasket is only $60.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
lfg929 : My biggest complaint with the 929 so far is the fact that if it goes down on the left side then you can pretty much count on cracking the stator cover and dropping oil all over the place. The good news is a replacement cover and gasket is only $60.
That's little consolation for the guy behind you running through your oil though. Not a good thing!

('you' as a generalization of course, not aimed at lfg)

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #8 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 1:01 PM Thread Starter

How amny of you put NKG (I think that is the Brand) covers on you bike befor you track it?

I know this time I am goint to get glass fairings nad covers before I go out.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 2:30 PM

I recently high sided my 929 and was relatively excited how well it held up. The bike barrel rolled twice and then went end over end twice....the result was a dented tank, smashed tail plastic and tweaked subfrmame (still useable), exhaust of course took a hit, and a couple other little itmes like a windscreen...total damage maybe 7 bills. As far as the stator covers go, I have exhausted this subject....basically two people make them-Factory and LP. Woodcraft should have one this winter as they are now done with the mold.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Purpdust : How amny of you put NKG (I think that is the Brand) covers on you bike befor you track it?

I know this time I am goint to get glass fairings nad covers before I go out.
I do not replace the stator cover. I know other people who have and have cracked the case when they went down. I have no idea if the stronger stator cover transferred more of the blow to the case, thus it being a major contributor to the crack, or if the crash itself was such that the case would have cracked regardless of what type of cover was on there. What I do know is that I will buy $60 OEM covers from now until the end of time just to not find out...

As for the oil...if the flaggers are doing their job then the oil flag should be out pretty quickly to warn people. If they are so close that the flag doesn't help then they probably would have gotten tangled up in the crash anyway. Yes, it is little consolation to the person who does go down in the oil and it does suck.

On a brighter note, one of the things I noticed about the new CBR1000R is that the stator cover looks to be in a much better position now to avoid damage from a crash. In fact, the motor in general seems to be fairly well protected and should hopefully result in far fewer oil patches being layed down due to a crash.
post #11 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 9:21 PM

I recently tossed my 929 nose-first into a tire wall and came out with a shattered windscreen and some rashed lowers. I'm quite happy with the crashability factor...Well, as happy as one can be, that is.
post #12 of 15 Old 09-12-2003, 10:29 PM

good thread, lots of info. Crashability is something I've never considered. Thanks
post #13 of 15 Old 09-13-2003, 4:58 PM

Fragility and weight have nothing to do with it. R6's now have crumple zones - it's a safety feature!
post #14 of 15 Old 09-13-2003, 9:54 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929

Damage to my 929 on the street was $10,500.

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-15-2003, 6:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
HondaGalToo : The new lighter bikes, including the 929/954 do not crash well for *the reasons you mentioned. *They are very light and it seems that things just bend very easily. *In the case of the 929/954, the cover grinds off easily, dumping oil all over the place.
I can vouch for that...

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page