Another exhaust smoking question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 1:47 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Another exhaust smoking question

Hey guys. I am new to the board. I have and 02 954 with about
13 000 miles on it. I am running a bolt on Akra can and a K& N filter. According to my buddies riding behind me, my bike puffs out black smoke when I crack the throttle and it has been doing that for awhile, since at least since the 10 000 mile mark. I just recently changed the plugs, cleaned out the filter and added a PCIIIusb (running Euro 954 map for Akra bolt on and stock or aftermarket bolt on) but it still puffs dark smoke (black I think). I don't burn any oil so I don't think its blue. It does smell pretty rich though.

Do you think I just have carbon build up from running crappy plugs for so long? If I hold the throttle open at 7-8g it doesn't really have constant smoke if any its barely visable. What maps would help me lean out the mixture. I am not overly concerned with losing power, I just want the bike to run smooth and clean.

I have run Lucas injector cleaner through it when it had the crappy plugs, but they may have had way too much build-up on them already.

I did notice that when I changed the oil it didn't puff as bad.

Thanks for any input on this on going problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 6:57 PM

Re: Another exhaust smoking question

hmm. sounds like it's running rich for sure. Possibly not enough spark to the spark plugs, fouled spark plugs ( not letting the engine get up to operating temperature each time you start the bike, then turning it off before it gets up to temp ), or not getting enough juice to one or more coils possibly. Possibly a bad ignition coil/s. You probably already know, but always let your bike get up to operating temperature before shutting the engine off... that will keep your spark plugs from fouling.

First i would check the primary wires going to the ignition coils - make sure they are on tight. Also i have heard if you get water around the coil cap area it can cause a misfire problem. Check all the wire clips, especially on the ECU to make sure it is on tight. If that doesn't fix the problem test the ignition coils with an Ohm meter according to the Honda manual test procedure.

Maybe someone here has a better idea than i do, but currently this is all i can think it would be. To me it just sounds like you need to get out the multimeter and start doing some tests. Personally i doubt there's anything wrong with the Fuel Injection system - unless it's a bad O2 sensor or bad throttle position sensor.

I'll leave this open to others who may know more.

Last edited by Fastrr; 09-01-2006 at 7:21 PM. Reason: add text
post #3 of 10 Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Ditch the K&N...problem solved.

...and

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 12:18 AM

Ok, so how would a K&N filter make the bike run rich? K&N should flow more air than a stock filter, no? Unless maybe he used too much K&N oil on the filter element?
post #5 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 9:59 AM

I have 22,000 miles on my '02, and it has puffed black smoke from new. It has always run rich.

I still run the original plugs (checked last at 18,500 miles) and they look great.

BMC full race filter, cut the cone off, and hindle bolt-on.

Just one other person's 2 cents, I hope it helps.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrr View Post
Ok, so how would a K&N filter make the bike run rich? K&N should flow more air than a stock filter, no? Unless maybe he used too much K&N oil on the filter element?

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 12:27 PM

The Honda ECU causes the injectors to "double pulse" during sharp acceleration (if it didn't, too much air would be drawn through the throttle bodies when the throttle is opened suddenly, because of the vacuum effect on the engine side of the throttle butterflies).

However, the 954 is notorious for inaccurate fueling when aftermarket exhaust systems and/or filters are fitted. Although the tendency is to run rich at the top end, there is a lean area around 3k - 4k rpm. Best to get an accurate map sorted out on a dyno (although mine STILL blows out a puff of smoke when whacking open the throttle).

Result ? - 148bhp at the back wheel (on mine anyway!)
post #8 of 10 Old 09-02-2006, 12:34 PM

Just re-read your post again.

I think you may have goofed by using a Euro map - try a 110-007.

Preferably though, get it dynoed and set up properly
post #9 of 10 Old 09-03-2006, 2:31 AM Thread Starter

I have been running my bike pretty hard lately and tonight it didn't seem to be puffing nearly as much smoke as usual when I crack the throttle, it does however have a strong burnt fuely smell to it. I will try that map tomorrow. Can I just download that map in or do I have to zero the PCIII first?

Thanks for the input Busa'.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-03-2006, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the juice View Post
I have been running my bike pretty hard lately and tonight it didn't seem to be puffing nearly as much smoke as usual when I crack the throttle, it does however have a strong burnt fuely smell to it. I will try that map tomorrow. Can I just download that map in or do I have to zero the PCIII first?

Thanks for the input Busa'.
Download straight over the top of the existing map

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page