WARNING: Watch out for "ebay" scam - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-13-2003, 5:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: WARNING: Watch out for "ebay" scam

I got an email today saying eBay couldn't verify my account information during one of their regular updates. It directed me to a site to update my info, including SSN and credit card info. Well, at first glance it looked almost real. The URL they send you to looks real as well except they do some encoding that you can't read and might take as garbage but it hides (unless you decode it) the real site you are going to.

Just wanted to make sure people are aware and don't get caught up in it. I am usually pretty good at picking out the scam jobs but this one actually had me going to a short time until I viewed the source on my email message and saw the encoding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-13-2003, 6:04 PM

Yeah, I got that the other day. As soon as I saw it I deleted it. But you're right, it did look pretty legitimate. I've received similar ones in the past also .
post #3 of 11 Old 09-13-2003, 6:06 PM

I have been receiving these since April in one form or another. The last 5 or so, I have actually filled out and returned. I entered every possible field with #### YOU. I wonder if they think I may suspect something . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-13-2003, 7:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They probably think it's your name, and that you're a loyal customer.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-14-2003, 9:33 AM
ER

Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection. They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

Sadly, there are plenty of people who won't take this level of caution and will hand that information out to anyone.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-14-2003, 9:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
ER : Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection. *They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

Sadly, there are plenty of people who won't take this level of caution and will hand that information out to anyone.
The email directed you to a supposedly secure internet site to enter the info. Like I said, to the casual observer it would be enough to fool you. I have seen some other blantanly obvious scams around ebay, but this one was a little more clever.

I traced the IP back to Korea and sent the site admins a complaint. I doubt much will be done but who knows...
post #7 of 11 Old 09-14-2003, 11:10 PM

Don't trust people from Nigeria also.

Those Ebay ones look pretty good, but usually if you look at where things are linking to it's pretty obvious something isn't kosher.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-15-2003, 10:30 AM
ER

Quote:
lfg929 : Quote (ER @ Sep. 14 2003, 9:33am)Any credible Internet-company that needs that kind of information will have you enter it through a secure, encrypted connection. *They should never, ever ask to you email it or send it through an unencrypted connection.

The email directed you to a supposedly secure internet site to enter the info. Like I said, to the casual observer it would be enough to fool you. I have seen some other blantanly obvious scams around ebay, but this one was a little more clever.

I traced the IP back to Korea and sent the site admins a complaint. I doubt much will be done but who knows...
Wow...that's almost impressive. Did Windows give the 'You're entering a secure-site' notice?
post #9 of 11 Old 09-15-2003, 2:42 PM Thread Starter

Nope. It wasn't *actually* a secure site. Outlook hides the actual URL and only shows you the link. The link *said* it was going to something like 'https://sgicgi.ebay.com' or something similar, but it actually took you to 'https://[email protected]<encoding here...>'. Had I not been pretty familiar with hex encoding in URLs (I am used to seeing %20 in URLs instead of a space) then I might not have picked up on the fact that it was bogus.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-15-2003, 3:23 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Thanks for the heads up. Can't wait to see it in my mailbox.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-17-2003, 10:02 PM

Hey guys, I just got a new one, a PayPal scam. Check it out here: http://www.paypal.com/@211.113.186.42/pp/processing.htm Pretty sneaky if your not paying attention.

Mike

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page