Just about done with street-riding - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 9:56 AM Thread Starter
ER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Just about done with street-riding

Well, I think I'm just about done with riding on the street. *I'm not really that comfortable anymore and the backroads I like to ride are wearing into worse and worse condition. *I'm tight and I'm nervous that every blind corner is going to have gravel, a deer, or a car in it. *I enjoy my rides less and less. *I was riding last night and ran into a road-block. *The sheriff there was turning everyone around to avoid what was probably a nasty, fatal accident. *I asked him if it involved a motorcycle and he said that it did. *On my way back I was passed by 4-5 emergency vehicles and a helicopter overhead.

As a result, I'm thinking about selling the 929 and picking up a used 600 for track-days only. *I figure I can learn to be a better rider at the track on an F4i or a Gixxer-600, where I can't be so lazy with the RPMs. *If I sell my bike this Fall, I'll part out and sell the extras here. *As a feeler, anyone interested in the following?

1. *Scott's damper - 3xxx miles on it. *$250
2. *DK front forks - 4xxx miles on them, .95 springs. *I will trade them for OEM forks plus $200.
3. *Fox Racing Shock - I put 2-3xxx miles on it, ytry had put 3-4xxx miles on it I believe. *Sprung for 190lb rider. $350
4. *PCIII - one year old. *It has a custom-map for a full Hindle (high-mount), no flapper, OEM filter. *$175

Buyer pays shipping.

I'm not ready to sell yet but if you would be interested in anything listed above, PM me. *Again, this is just a feeler and I'm trying to see who's interested in buying. *I wouldn't be able to start parting out the bike until I get back from my honeymoon in two weeks. *Oh yeah, I'm getting married on Friday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 10:45 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via AIM to PATBAROK

CONGRATS!!!
but sorry to hear bout the way u feel bout riding,i somewhat feel the same way,cuz i went down last sunday,but sometimes u just get that itch that u want to ride,maybe not as hard or as good as u used to,but ur still riding!! trackdays are too expensive anyways,there's one comin up on the 18th at pocono raceway that my friends are running. if anyone from the surrounding area wants to go,go to their website at nysportbikeclub.com and check it out
post #3 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 11:08 AM

ER, just so you'll know, I am pretty much done with street riding also. I'm still deciding on whether to keep the RC51 for the track, or trade it for a different track bike, but no more street riding for me.

-Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 11:15 AM

ER & Pete, I hate to see yall quit riding on the street, but I understand you gotta do what's best for you.
I just think it's a shame when conscientious riders take it off the street, yet all the stuntas keep going strong.
post #5 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 11:24 AM
TAZ

Reputation Power: 20

Send a message via AIM to TAZ Send a message via MSN to TAZ

Quote:
Serial Thriller : I just think it's a shame when conscientious riders take it off the street, yet all the stuntas keep going strong.
That's a very true point. But I feel the same way; many of you will remember some of my posts talking about not riding hard on the street anymore.

I can't blame you, ER.
However, I'd suggest that the 929 isn't a bad trackbike. You might do better off keeping it, versus sellling it to buy a used 600 of unknown quantity...
post #6 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 11:25 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

There are certain things I miss about riding on the street, but overall I'm happy just riding on the track. You may not get the quantity of riding in, but it's much more concentrated.

Hope your wedding is great Eric!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #7 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 3:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got two comments:
#1 - I'm right there with ER. I decided a couple months ago that my 954 was going. It has as much to do with the fact that street riding is just no fun anymore as is does anything else.
#2 - I've got some bits and pieces for sale for use on a 954.
Ohlins shock, Ohlins damper and lots of carbon fiber pieces.

Carry on.
post #8 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 4:15 PM

Sorry to see some of you giving up the hwys. I have been on them for 57 yrs of riding. One learns how to ride them & not in a potato-potato-potato fashion.

I put 42 of those yrs into basically dirt comp of basically all forms to some that others have never thought about, along with some yrs of good road racing PLUS riding the streets/hwys.

Still like others to get at the tracks just for 'track days' or actual racing it is around a day to get there so that scratches out many of the above days as they are not ALWAYS open for the 'track days' or for some specific road racing.

If one has access to hills & bush then they can shift over to dirt riding/dirt comp which is less costly. Still at 73 yrs of age & so busted up from 42 yrs of dirt comp I cannot do the latter.
post #9 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 4:30 PM Thread Starter
ER

You know, it's a combination of things for me. *After the track-days I did this year, I'm bored with the slower pace on the street. *I want to ramp it up a bit but the street certainly isn't the place to do it. *Yeah, there are certain stretches of road along my favorite route that I can ride pretty hard, but I still have to do a pass or two to make sure there isn't any gravel or anything else on the road. *These are country roads and I'm seeing a lot of deer off to the sides. *It's just not worth it any more. *I don't feel invincible like I used to (which is good), and the only place I'm going to be able to ride the way I want without worrying about drunk-cagers, animals, or gravel is the track.
post #10 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 4:48 PM

I too am experienceing the same preference for the track, or lack of interest in the street. Just too many uncertainties on the street. But why sell the 954 only to spend nearly the same money on a 600. You have already spent the money to set your 954 up as a great track bike (forks, PCIII, shock and scotts). As near as I can tell the cost of a 600 (plus scotts , PCIII, shock, and forks) is about the same as you will be able to get from your 954. Why not just keep the 954 as your track bike. Also, you can still take the ocassional relaxed street ride if the spirit moves you.

post #11 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 5:57 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I don't know what tracks you guys have around but here in northern CA trackdays aren't cheap at least about a hundred bucks a day. The street is still free for now. No duct tape no draining the rad. It's all about how fast you want to go. It seems as if some folks get desensitized to the speed and nothing seems to be fast enough anymore. Well nothing like a deer or some gravel to speed things up for you. I was riding this weekend on some difficult bumpy roads practicing bieng smooth and I got into some gravel while leaned over in a right hander it was kind of enlightening actually to remember what a total and instant loss of traction feels like. I kept it up and I know how and why it came out that way. On my next ride I'll cringe a little less when I have to deal with a gravel strewn corner. The track is just that, a track. The road is many other things. Far off destinations, unknown adventures, ever changing scenery, Oneness. Many of the things we started riding for till all out speed consumed our interests.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
post #12 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 6:05 PM

well if you do decide to sale i want the pc3! because these guys said it would fit a 954 and i also have a full hindle thanks
post #13 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 6:54 PM

Good points, all.

However, I think an ideal situation consists of a mix of the two: street and track. *After being bikeless for the first summer in many, many moons, I can attest that there have been more than a few times where I was driving a cage and would have given my right-eye tooth to be on two wheels.

The best way to see this country and this world is on the seat of a motorcycle. *The smells, the elements, the hot and cold... you are so much more in tune with your surroundings when you see the world from a motorcycle rather than the confined environment of a cage and I think that enhances the experience exponentially.

Given a concious choice, I'll still ride on the street (but I gotta get a fargin' bike first *)

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Post-blade
post #14 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 7:26 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

I, for one, am glad that those of you giving up riding on the street are still sticking with riding. I'd rather ride on the track only than never again, and the track riding I have done was fantastic.

Do what you gotta do guys, but keep riding

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #15 of 28 Old 09-15-2003, 7:43 PM

Quote:
BizJetGuy : The best way to see this country and this world is on the seat of a motorcycle. *The smells, the elements, the hot and cold... you are so much more in tune with your surroundings when you see the world from a motorcycle rather than the confined environment of a cage and I think that enhances the experience exponentially.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page