Somewhat quiet aftermarket... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-15-2003, 5:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ
Re: Somewhat quiet aftermarket...

Who makes a reasonably quiet after market exhaust. I really don't want one that is obnoxious. I have seen that Hindle makes a Stealth and a Supersport, is there a big difference in db's? Any other suggestions?

Dano

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-15-2003, 8:59 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
ReaperAZ : Who makes a reasonably quiet after market exhaust. *I really don't want one that is obnoxious. *I have seen that Hindle makes a Stealth and a Supersport, is there a big difference in db's? *Any other suggestions?

Dano
The Devil system is pretty quiet, nearly stock-like under 2k so idling through a condo comples or something is not annoying.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-15-2003, 10:40 PM

Arrow's full system is a good sounding unit, and ins't loud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 09-16-2003, 5:22 PM

Try removing the main baffle in your stock can,not too loud,not too quiet.Works if you don't have the $.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-16-2003, 11:28 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to BushrodW

Quote:
ReaperAZ : Who makes a reasonably quiet after market exhaust. *I really don't want one that is obnoxious. *I have seen that Hindle makes a Stealth and a Supersport, is there a big difference in db's? *Any other suggestions?

Dano
I have a Hindle SuperSport can. It's loud over 7K rpm. It gets pretty raspy and definitely is not stealthy. Under 7K it's definitely louder than stock but not a real cop attracter.

I think I've read various places that the Remus is a throaty but not overly loud muffler. The Moriwaki half-system is said to be nice in that regard as well.

BW

www.AirAmericaRadio.com
post #6 of 19 Old 09-16-2003, 11:29 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via Yahoo to BushrodW

Quote:
jafo : Try removing the main baffle in your stock can,not too loud,not too quiet.Works if you don't have the $.
would you shed a little light as to how one removes the main baffle, please?

TIA!

BW

www.AirAmericaRadio.com
post #7 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 12:42 AM

Quote:
BushrodW : Quote (jafo @ Sep. 16 2003, 2:22pm)Try removing the main baffle in your stock can,not too loud,not too quiet.Works if you don't have the $.

TIA!

BW
Big hammer, sharp metal rod. take can off punch a big hole in it. reinstall doesn't sound to bad but my Devil sounds alot better
post #8 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 AM

Does this affect performance/reliability in any way? I figure Honda knows what they are doing in the engineering department, but I also figure they have stringent guidelines to follow.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Bacchus : Does this affect performance/reliability in any way? *I figure Honda knows what they are doing in the engineering department, but I also figure they have stringent guidelines to follow.
I had a spare can that came with the bike, just tried it, made no power at all just noise only stayed on for a day.
My Devil 1/2 system made a noticeable performance increase. I'm sure its not as much as a hindle but I like it
post #10 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 9:43 AM

Akrapovic's bolt-on canister for the 954 might be just what you're looking for. It doesn't wail like some of the mufflers out there, but offers a nice deep snarl that never struck me as obnoxious.
post #11 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 24

Send a message via AIM to ReaperAZ Send a message via MSN to ReaperAZ Send a message via Yahoo to ReaperAZ

I think the Devil is a great pipe I have just never been a big fan of the high exit style. I really like the Moriwaki 1/2 system but just don't have the $$$ to shell out right now. I was thinking the Akrapovic would be one of the quieter ones since on alomst every bike I have heard with them was nice. I think for now I'll just go with a bolt-on and go for the 1/2 or full later. Thanks for the input guys.

Dano

Dan
post #12 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 12:28 PM

I have a TwoBros Slip on and I love it. Nice deep tone and not loud at all, even in the higher RPM's but people can still hear me. A little less expensive than the Akra, too.
post #13 of 19 Old 09-17-2003, 12:43 PM

I upgraded from a Moriwaki half system, which had a good h.p. gain of 6 or so, and made good sound without being loud. It's a high quality piece.
post #14 of 19 Old 09-18-2003, 1:15 AM

Quote:
BushrodW : Quote (jafo @ Sep. 16 2003, 2:22pm)Try removing the main baffle in your stock can,not too loud,not too quiet.Works if you don't have the $.

TIA!

BW
If you remove the endcan and look into the end where it bolts up,you can see a large plate.Just get a looong drillbit and drill all around the perimeter,remove the big hunk of metal and presto,stock looking exhaust with better than stock sound.Nice mod in my opinion if you dont have $.If you have a CA bike there will be a cat convertor that will need to be removed 1st,of course the above mods are only legal for offroad......
post #15 of 19 Old 09-18-2003, 8:35 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I had an Erion Racing slip-on, mostly for looks. *The black looked so much better than the stock can with my r/b blade. *Both stock and Erion weighed exactly the same on the scales! *I could not feel any performance increase comparing the two, but was happy with the improved looks.

The Erion sounded great at idle and low rpm. *Get to 4000 or better and it was loud to me (with earplugs); over 7000 was like the screaming tornado sirens we have in the Midwest, so I finally bit the bullet and replaced it with the not so esthetic stock can again. *I am happy being stealthy and not attracting undue attention locally...I'll leave that to the Hardley crowd, but I also am interested in a quiet, nicer looking slip-on cannister.

Chain: *Didn't you have an Akropovic can and recently replaced your stocker? * Details, please. *
Aside: *I too hurt, and pray for you and your brother officer.

Alex: *I am probably wrong about this, but I cannot imagine much difference in sound between the 2Bros and the Erion. *I really don't know how to subjectively compare the two because I a) don't have a twobros *b) don't have a decibel meter. *

My Erion had less than 1000 miles on it when I took it off, so the packing wasn't blown. *My question to you is, other than sound quality, did you notice a difference between decibel loudness compared to stock with the 2bros?
Aside: *Thanks for the pics! *I think this is wonderful you are doing that for us! *Please don't stop.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page