929 hard shifting @ high engine speed - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-16-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 hard shifting @ high engine speed

I have a 2001 929 which I take to the track quite often. Currently I cannot shift into fifth at high engine speeds, 9000 - 11000 rpm. Usually I can make the shift on the first lap but not thereafter. I have double and thriple checked the clutch and shifter linkage adjustments. I use Castrol Actevo 10W-40 engine oil (synthetic). I normally shift clutchless, but I have tried using the clutch for forth and fifth gear changes with no success. Second thru third work just fine either way. If anyone has encounter a simialr problem I would appreciate any and all feedback.

As a matter of interest I have no problem shifting on the street using lower engine speeds.

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: 929 hard shifting @ high engine speed

sounds like the exact polar opposite of every other tranny i've read about on this site. worn shifter dogs, etc..? maybe the effects of power shifting?
post #3 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 11:45 AM

My mechanic who rides a Hyabus and is in our club swears that Synthetic oil breaks down to fast in our bikes because of the high RPM's that wer run. He insists on using
10-W40 any brand but Castrol because they use recycled oil and it breaks down faster. Maybe the oil is your problem. I don't know, I am not a mechanic but I have had really good performence with my 01 929 RR with Valvoline 10W40. GOOD LUCK.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea954rr View Post
sounds like the exact polar opposite of every other tranny i've read about on this site. worn shifter dogs, etc..? maybe the effects of power shifting?
Worn shifter dogs, etc usually result in partial engagement, neutral or missed shift. In my case the linkage does not want to move. It's like pulling up on a large rock.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-17-2006, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chia View Post
My mechanic who rides a Hyabus and is in our club swears that Synthetic oil breaks down to fast in our bikes because of the high RPM's that wer run. He insists on using
10-W40 any brand but Castrol because they use recycled oil and it breaks down faster. Maybe the oil is your problem. I don't know, I am not a mechanic but I have had really good performence with my 01 929 RR with Valvoline 10W40. GOOD LUCK.....
That is exactly what I have been thinking, the oil did it, but I have not been able to gather any factual info on the subject. I have even talked to a few racing clutch manufacturers who indicate sythetic is ok. However my thought process was more along the line of too much windage drag, which in turn tends to "lock" up the clutch plates. Either way it would be easy enough to try a conventional oil. Thanks for the info

RLT

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page