Question for the legality inclined - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 7:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Send a message via Yahoo to firedawgon929
Re: Question for the legality inclined

Ok, on our ride today, I got a ticket for crossing the double yellows. I have no argument about whether or not I was wrong, I was. However for those that feel they need to flame, the lines went a quarter mile into at least a mile and a half straight stretch with no turning lanes. Just pure and straight. There was a reason why that cop was sitting there, and that is exactly the reason. People pass there. Anyways, the ticket is wrong. Because I'm in the military, I have an Oregon license and California plates. The ticket is written saying I have a California license. Does that make this ticket invalid? If it does, where can I find the code that says so?
TIA, Ben

No matter how beautiful a woman may be, some man somewhere is sick of her sh!t.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 8:17 PM

Reputation Power: 0

start by going to the library and reading the law books, or ask a lawyer

post #3 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 8:39 PM

Unfortunately it is the same here in Cdn & especially in the two lane twisty mtn roads. You get behind a slow driver, SUV, 18 wheeler, or slow drivers & you simply suffer as you pedal down to the lower cogs. Often the crossing lines are extremely short & with some 20 plus vehicles infront of you doing around 20 to 25mph that is the way you must go, for once you turn up the wick & get cracking the cops will nail you for excessive speeding & Lord knows what else they will dream up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 8:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
soniccbr : start by going to the library and reading the law books, or ask a lawyer
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

Thanks for the valuable and much needed input smartass.

post #5 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 8:45 PM

Quote:
firedawgon929 : ... The ticket is written saying I have a California license. Does that make this ticket invalid? ...
In Texas it would get thrown out.
post #6 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 9:39 PM

Ahh ,

Im willing to bet that the ticket is probably still good because it is issued to you the person not the bike. Best chance will be to get a ticket lawyer and see if they can get it dismissed on a technicality. I doubt it, but since you live in Cali anything is possible!

SS
post #7 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 10:10 PM

Well, all I can tell you is what would happen in NY. If you fought the ticket based on the license state glitch, that ticket would be voided - and a new one would be written with the proper information. I am not saying you should be thrilled that you got a ticket, but you would have to admit that particular glitch really has nothing to do with the accuracy of what the officer is accusing you of.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-17-2003, 10:58 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to itsdesignateddave

Here in Kansas they would write me another ticket for trying to take it to court. Around here we get tickets for everything. It's normal to get pulled over 3 times a night when nothing has happened. All I can say is that my fraternity's alumni constitute about 90% of the lawyers in this area, if you catch my drift

Dave

From the land of Dorothy & Toto
post #9 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 12:10 AM

Sorry I don't have the answer to your question but, from what I've read in previous posts, it seems like even when the officer makes a mistake on the citation it still stands. *I don't think this is fair, *nor should it be legal, but sometimes you just can't fight City Hall. *Sucks, I hope you beat it * .

Edit: Chain? Any of you other cops out there? What do you have to say?

post #10 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Bacchus : ...

Edit: *Chain? *Any of you other cops out there? *What do you have to say?
That's what I've been wondering ... chain

post #11 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 2:34 AM
Jay

I agree w/others, find a lawyer.
But it may not be worth the $.
post #12 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 3:20 AM

Reputation Power: 18

At least down here in SoCal, the ticket wouldn't be voided based on the mix-up. Also, the yellow line citation I believe should be prima facie based (what made it dangerous?). If there was no one around other than you, you couldn't have endangered anybody's safety. A cop can't be considered an opposing veh (in CA at least). The cop would have to articulate reasons he felt your move was unsafe. If you can articulate no one else around (pedestrians), not a residential area, no other vehicles, roads not wet, no intersections, etc., then you stand a chance of beating the ticket! Good luck

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us;
they can't get away from us this time."
- Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War
post #13 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 4:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
DevilDog : At least down here in SoCal, the ticket wouldn't be voided based on the mix-up. *Also, the yellow line citation I believe should be prima facie based (what made it dangerous?). *If there was no one around other than you, you couldn't have endangered anybody's safety. *A cop can't be considered an opposing veh (in CA at least). *The cop would have to articulate reasons he felt your move was unsafe. *If you can articulate no one else around (pedestrians), not a residential area, no other vehicles, roads not wet, no intersections, etc., then you stand a chance of beating the ticket! *Good luck *
There was nothing dangerous about it. Sped up to get around the vehicle and if I HAD been in a cage would have crossed back over AFTER the broken line started. Seeing as though one of the vehicles pulled us over, one was pulled over right up the road (by the same one that pulled us over), another was being taken down at the end of the road, my guess is they were briefed this morning. The cop was pulled over on the same sight of the road obvious in a position where most vehicles passing wouldn't even realize he was there until after he was already behind them. He would have been in the blind spot of the vehicle being overtaken. That spot just looked like a total setup in hindsight, even as I was standing there patiently waiting for my receipt from the California Department of Revenue. Oops, I mean CHP. They were out to make money today. Are you an officer by the way? I might have a couple more questions for you if you don't mind.

post #14 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 9:32 AM

I would say that it depends on the judge. If he is a stickler for detail he may throw it out. But most will say that it was written to you lawfully regardless of the mistake. I'd go anyway in hopes the officer doesnt show.
post #15 of 31 Old 05-18-2003, 9:51 AM

Quote:
firedawgon929 : Quote (Bacchus @ May 17 2003, 8:10pm)...

Edit: *Chain? *Any of you other cops out there? *What do you have to say?
That's what I've been wondering ... chain
Firedawgon, sounds like you're getting good input from Devildog and, since he's a California peace officer, is in a better position to comment.

Good luck with your case.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page