Swingarm measurements - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Swingarm measurements

I have an 03 954 and was wondering if there is there any way to measure the swingarm to ensure it is straight? I have been having unstability at higher speeds. Also the triple tree is turned slightly to the right while going straight. I have changed everything on the front end except the wheel and axle. After all of that it is still the same. If I take my hands off the bars while riding and the bike swerves right then back left and keeps swaying back and forth that way. If gets worse as the bike slows. It really feels like the tires aren't tracking on the same line. I've tried twisting the forks to align the front and the rear is aligned by using the method found on the forum. I've read through every post dealing with anything remotely close to this and have been unable to solve my issues. Since I haven't changed anything on the rear I figured I should go there. Hopefully someone will have some info to lead me in the right direction. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-20-2006, 6:04 PM Thread Starter

Re: Swingarm measurements

I guess no one has measurements. Can anyone at least tell me if the 954's swingarm is supposed to be even on both sides? I'm talking in reference to where the swingarm sliders mount. If I get the bike upright and level will the measurement from the ground to the spools be the same, or least supposed to be?
post #3 of 8 Old 10-20-2006, 6:14 PM

bike ever been laid down, crashed, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-20-2006, 6:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk954 View Post
bike ever been laid down, crashed, etc?
Not exactly sure what has happened. There are some scratches on the engine case and one of the mirrors but everything else is fine. I am the third owner. The guy I got it from said that he never put it down, but who really knows?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-20-2006, 6:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sounds like a wheel alignment issue.
Have you checked to see that the rear wheel is aligned straight?
To do so, look for the chain adjusting knowledgebase article.
The front end twist can be resolved by loosening the bolts, straightening it and tightening everything back up.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2006, 5:50 AM

sounds like someone laid it down...make sure all the bolts are tightened etc, and see how it rolls, like BDA said
post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2006, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
Sounds like a wheel alignment issue.
Have you checked to see that the rear wheel is aligned straight?
To do so, look for the chain adjusting knowledgebase article.
The front end twist can be resolved by loosening the bolts, straightening it and tightening everything back up.
I've aligned the rear wheel using the info here and have tightened and realigned everything on the front many times and still no changed. I don't know what else to do.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2006, 10:59 AM

For starters I would take a straight edge preferably 2 one down each side of the rear tire (using the rim would be better) going forward along side of the front. It would be best to have a rear stand and spin the rear tire to make sure it runs true. The front tire should be in the middle if the rear axle is adjusted correctly. If you find that the tire is not centered and the rear axle is correct then I would suspect an issue with the steering head. Have you checked the preload on the steering head bearings or checked to see if the swingarm pivots are good. Check the tires real good and make sure there isn't a possible cord issue from maybe hitting a driveway entrance to fast or something similar and pinching the tire. It's kind of strange that the bike would go back and forth rather than just go off in one direction. I would also check all the wheel bearings. I would probably do this first now that I think about it but loosen the chain up as much as possible so you can get a feel if there is any play on the rear swingarm or rear wheel bearings. If there is no play make sure both sides are even before you do the straight edge test.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page