Who's tried this? (Fork oil lock) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Who's tried this? (Fork oil lock)

As some may remember, not but two weeks ago I slipped new springs and seals in my 1000rr. I used aftermarket seals becasue I thought they may have a higher quality; however they lasted about three sessions before they had an almost complete failure under heavy, sustained braking. So, my forks are back apart waiting on OEM replacements and I ran across this article. Peter Verdone Designs - Oil Locks I'll sum it up: Mounted on the dampening rod is an oil lock, which heavily restricts the last 10mm or so of suspension travel to avoid bottoming out. This can either be removed (for race bikes) or modified to lessen the amount of restriction (for track bikes which still could experience a squared bump on the street, but will have more effective travel for the track). Sounds like a no brainer to me, who wouldn't like another 10mm of suspension? Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 11:59 AM

Re: Who's tried this? (Fork oil lock)

not tried myself, but know the site & appreciate how the mod works

IMHO i'd be wary @ completely removing the oil lock.. bottoming the forks out could be very harsh & @ >10mm less front ride height right there & then could be very bad as you will almost certainly be on the brakes!

That said IMHO you only need a bit of oil lock to feel what the fork is doing & IMHO i'd modify the oil lock (as per PVD) to drop the 10mm to far less.. MAYBE say 4mm

Hope this helps?

all the 'IMHO' is cos i'm very wary about talkin in absolutes in regards to suspension & other 'personal' types of machine set up.

if you do remove it completely, make sure that A) your front fender dont hit the underside of the front fairing on full travel & B) you dont get hydraulic lock with your existing air gap
post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I don't plan on completely removing it, but I would consider modifing it. Are you sure this will effect ride height?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 1:12 PM

My RC51 doesn't have it and it's really no big deal. You setup the oil level/weight a bit differently, but as long as you know what you're doing it works fine.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblade View Post
I don't plan on completely removing it, but I would consider modifing it. Are you sure this will effect ride height?
only at the end of the fork stroke, not at any other time
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
My RC51 doesn't have it and it's really no big deal. You setup the oil level/weight a bit differently, but as long as you know what you're doing it works fine.
man u sorta summed that up in a sentance what i took paragraphs !!

cheers
post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 3:23 PM

Interesting. I use my bike for commuting to work and back and the roads here are horrible. I often can feel the end travel and would like to increase the safety margin.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-28-2006, 3:33 PM Thread Starter

O.k., so if all I wanna do is drill some holes in it-as the website recommends starting with a single 1-2mm hole, where should I drill it? Should I keep it up towards the top where there already are some existing slots, or more towards the bottom? I want to do it, but am not exactly sure where to do it at. Any help?
Attached Thumbnails
oil lock.jpg‎  

Last edited by rotorblade; 10-29-2006 at 10:41 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page