I'm thinking of lowering my 1k - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 3:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I'm thinking of lowering my 1k

I recently hurt my ankle playing football and it's really tough to park my bike now. I'm 5'6 and I never complained about 1k's height till recently. The front area of my boots/toes touch on both sides but I cant push to hard cause of my ankle. I already got off the bike a couple times to make my life easier by walking it but it's a pain in the buttox. Is there a way I can lower the front and rear an inch or so with out purchasing parts? I plan on raising the bike back to it's normal height in Spring.

p.s. I wont buy boots with heels cause thats just wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 3:39 PM

Re: I'm thinking of lowering my 1k

I'd suggest keeping off the bike until your ankle heals. It'd be a shame to dump it because your bum ankle gave out in the parking lot.
post #3 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 3:43 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I almost dropped it a couple times already. This is my only transportation at the moment. I sold my car before I busted my ankle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 3:50 PM

Reputation Power: 31

At 5'4", I always have to get off my bike to push it around when parking it. I'd rather deal with that than lower it, as lowering will affect handling and ground clearance.
I'd leave it as it is. Hey, at least when your ankle heals, you'll be able to resume parking it while you're on the bike, something I'll never be able to do!
post #5 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 4:05 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
At 5'4", I always have to get off my bike to push it around when parking it. I'd rather deal with that than lower it, as lowering will affect handling and ground clearance.
I'd leave it as it is. Hey, at least when your ankle heals, you'll be able to resume parking it while you're on the bike, something I'll never be able to do!

I try to park where I don't really have to do any maneuvering unless its forward under power. getting the bike turned while still riding so that I'm facing out of the parking spot helps. parking up a slight incline helps backing also.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 6:33 PM

You can put straps on the front but there's not much lowering that can be done out back without a couple of parts. Ebay could save you a couple of bucks, then sell the parts when you return it to stock.

You don't really have much riding time left before it's blisteringly cold up there.
post #7 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 8:10 PM Thread Starter

Wow you guys are short! Just kidding, I was hoping there was something the dealer can do with the original equiptment to lower the 1k but I guess not. Thanks anyway guys
post #8 of 33 Old 11-03-2006, 8:44 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

Do you ride with good moto boots? alot of them have great ankle support.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #9 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 5:38 AM

I have the same height as yours. I got tired of pushing and pulling the bike with the tips of my toes. So I purchased at eBay a lowering link for $100 with shipping. Those links have 1" and 3" lowering options. I chose the 1" which looked enough (2.5 cm). The seat height is now perfect. I can use almost all the bottom of my boots while sitting. The feeling is much better than before and gives confidence to short people like I am.
I didn't notice any difference in riding. I ride on public roads with my mates on early Saturday mornings and my relative speed (relative to the bunch) is the same. The handling seems to be the same as well.
The ground clearance is of course shorter but I don't care too much about that. I don't ride urban and don't need to climb on sidewalks.
I guess that the racing guys on a track will need to modify the front as well. By how much I can't say. Just setup your sag and try lowering the front by 0.2" (5 mm) quanta until you are satisfied with the handling and cornering feedbacks. Like others wrote before me, make small single-adjustments and write ASAP your remarks. I heard from one of my mates that weighing the rear and front on home scales, before and after the modification will tell you by how much you changed your weight balance. You just place the first wheel on the scale and write the weight. Then move the scale under rear wheel of the bike and write the second weight. If you then lower the front and reach the exact weights as with the stock link, you are almost at the factory settings with a 1" lower bike. All measurements should be very accurate: we are talking about differences of grams. Be sure to straight the bike to the perpendicular when weighing. You will know it when the weight is at maximum on the scale. A digital scale is necessary to reach the most accurate results.
By the way, in principle the sum of the 2 weights should give the total bike weight. However, because of the height of the scale, you will get a lower weight by a factor of cosine the angle the top of the scale forms with the ground contact of the unraised opposite wheel.
post #10 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 5:42 AM

Reputation Power: 42

You've probably been down this road already, but I used an Aircast inside my boot to give my ankle some support while it healed....allowed me to get on the bike a bit sooner than I had expected...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #11 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 2:12 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Wrap the ankle snugly and wear lace-up boots.

As for the lowering, I guess I'll have to document the procedure when I do it to mine next month. I did it before on a 600RR, but the forks weren't inverted. I went down 1.5" on that one, and shortened the seat. You have to stiffen the compression rate to keep it from bottoming during agressive riding.

But then again, I'm only 5'1" @ 125 lbs... I don't bottom it much unless I go fast over rough railroad crossings. I was loaded with full saddlebags that day (I thought I heard a scrape doing 50mph..). The front end will bottom under hard braking when lowered that far.

To a student: no,no,no...straighten then brake.
http://cbrider.com/
http://v4hondabbs.com/
post #12 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 2:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

If you lower the front that much without compensating and also lowering the back, it will change the geometry of the bike enough that it would likely affect stability.

I should write an article about this, but I strongly recommend that people whose inseam is less than the seat height of their bike adopt riding strategies other than messing with the suspension.

For instance, get your seat scooped out (replace foam with gel) and narrowed. Stock seats are usually quite cheap on ebay.
post #13 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 2:30 PM

I did the whole package on that bike...
I had a machinist make me a turnbuckle style link that could be adjusted as needed to complement the front lowering. The bike was lowered the same amount front and rear so the geometry wasn't changed. The bike was never taken to the track, it was for street only. The kickstand was also shortened with a threaded adapter to fit.

If you replace foam with gel, it had better be bagged, because the gel attacks the vinyl covering and hardens it.

Last edited by MSGT-R; 04-11-2007 at 2:02 PM.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 2:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just wanted to point out that at 6'2", I have never had any problem touching both feet to the ground while on any sport bike I have ever sat on.

Carry on.
post #15 of 33 Old 11-29-2006, 2:42 PM

When you get tired of being tall, I'll trade 'ya!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page