929 oil change intervals - Question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 11-03-2006, 9:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 oil change intervals - Question

Hi All, I am new here, just subscribed today, and this is my first ever post. I really like your site, you have some great forums here, this seems to be a great place for info and advice regarding the Blades.

OK, to some history and my question. I come from the Suzuki family as my last three bikes were Suzukis (Bandit600, Bandit1200, SV1000S) and previously - ages ago - I owned a Honda XLS350 (my first big bike with kick-start, a real tractor) and later a much more civilised Yamaha XT600. The last few years I was pretty much used to 3500-4000 miles service and oil change intervals for my Suzukis . I got my 929 in August serviced and with fresh oil/filter and I've already covered 4500 miles as I travelled around Europe (From London to France, Switzerland, Italy, Greece and back). I got stressed a couple of days ago because I thought that I haven't changed the oil on time but after a good look on 929's manual I realised that service intervals are 4 Kmiles but oil/filter intervals are 8 Kmiles; so it seems that I don't have to change oil for another 3.5 Kmiles. Is that right? What is the common practice on 929s regarding this? I will appreciate some advice on how often other 929 owners change oil/oil filter. Also any recommendations on oil makes and types (synthetic/semi-synthetic, etc) that are known to work well with the Blade would be very useful and very much appreciated.

My Blade is in excellent condition with some very useful extras for high motorway miles (heated grips, Corbin seat, tank cover and tankbag, Scottoiler, double bouble screen, titanium Micron can, etc). I've missed a little bit the torque engines of my Bandit12 and SV (both very strong at low revs) but I love the handling of my Blade and how flexible the engine is above 5000 rpms. I would never imagined that I'll go touring on a Blade but it is actually very comfortable and a couple of times I covered about 600 miles a day without any problems at all. Very impressed! Anyways I hope to be able to upload some nice photos - and videos from my trip - next time I am here.

Cheers

Last edited by kadamopo; 11-07-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 11-03-2006, 9:35 PM

Re: 929 oil change intervals - Question

First of all, welcome to the site .

Now to your questions. While I don't think you have done any harm, most of the people here that have voiced an opinion change BOTH their oil and filter at the same time and usually at 3000 mile (or less) intervals. Although the manual says you only need to change the oil/filter every 8K for your bike, I would bet that the oil and filter are both pretty dirty at this point and a change will only have a positive effect.

Regarding what type of oil, that is a much debated subject and I can state without any hesitation that Motul 300V will work just fine in your 929. Unfortunately, this is very expensive oil and there are several alternatives (which I'm certain will be mentioned by other posters later in this thread) that will work just fine.

As far as the filter, I recommend using the OEM with the exact same number that is found in the owner's manual. Failing that I have had exceptional results with both the Purolator and WIX equivilent filters.
post #3 of 27 Old 11-03-2006, 9:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
First of all, welcome to the site .

Now to your questions. While I don't think you have done any harm, most of the people here that have voiced an opinion change BOTH their oil and filter at the same time and usually at 3000 mile (or less) intervals. Although the manual says you only need to change the oil/filter every 8K for your bike, I would bet that the oil and filter are both pretty dirty at this point and a change will only have a positive effect.

Regarding what type of oil, that is a much debated subject and I can state without any hesitation that Motul 300V will work just fine in your 929. Unfortunately, this is very expensive oil and there are several alternatives (which I'm certain will be mentioned by other posters later in this thread) that will work just fine.

As far as the filter, I recommend using the OEM with the exact same number that is found in the owner's manual. Failing that I have had exceptional results with both the Purolator and WIX equivilent filters.
Thanks abtech, that was a really quick and very useful reply. I think that you are right and it's better to service the bike and change oil/filter simultaneously and in shorter intervals. I would like to hear from other 929 owners as well, especially about oil recommendations. Cheers once more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 12:37 AM

Reputation Power: 66

Send a message via Yahoo to bettingpython

Changing oil for me is quite an expensive propositon. I use only full syn oil and do the filter everytime I change the oil. No more than 3,000 miles between changes and if I am planning a full weekend trip of riding 600 to 1500 miles I will do a change before the trip if I am at the 1500 mile mark. My preference is mobil full syn but no one had 4 quarts at my last service interval so I used repsol 10-50 racing @$37.00 dollars for 4 litres and $13.00 bucks for a filter.

I use my old bike oil in my lawnmowers during the summer it is so clean.

I know my oil change habits are over kill but even the wifes GS500 gets treated the same as my 954, full syn and a filter every time. Will it last any longer? I have never worn a bike out yet or had a failure caused by lack of maintenance. When I toured on my goldwing it received the above mentioned treatment and had many hotel parking lot oil changes and I logged almost 150,000 miles on it and it still ran super strong at 190,000 miles when I sold it. The new owner felt he needed to have it reringed 2 years ago just because the mileage was so high and the dealership thought the guy was lying and the odometer was wrong when they got into the motor, it had 270k miles on it.

Makes me a firm believer in frequent changes and High quality oil. Motul, R4, Belray, Silkolene, Mobil, Repsol etc they're all good but I have a brand loyalty to mobil for personal reasons.

Hope this helps.

Josh
post #5 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 7:50 AM

Reputation Power: 18

IMHO you are wasting money changing the oil as frequently as 3000 miles. I have a friend here whose 954 has done 84,000 miles and he gets it serviced it EXACTLY as specified by Honda, i.e oil and filter every 8,000 miles.

Honda spend vast sums of money devleoping bikes, so why would they recommend 8,000 miles if that was likely to be too long?

Personally I change my oil and filter every 5 - 6 thousand miles, depending how much track use its had.

Cheers
Simon
post #6 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 1:07 PM

Reputation Power: 14

r1, totally disagree with the 8k oil change. from oil tests i have seen, the oils lubricating quality's hold up that long, but the build up of acids and other impurities from the combustion process contaminates the oil far earlier.

IMHO it is cheap insurance to change the oil every 3k, and i am on the line of bettingpython with being anal about changing it before a long ride than letting it go over in miles. i have always done the 3,000 oil/filter change since i had my first car, and all vehicles since, and have had high mileage with no engine failures, and also very minimum combustion loss, far below normal.

the proof is in the science. i feel you would be better off running cheap oil and changing it every 3,000 miles, than running $10 a liter oil and changing it every 8,000.

always change the oil filter and oil together, and for oil i like the castrol r4, but i also feel that any of the high grade synthetics are a good choice. do some searches on oil on this site and you will get more info than you know what to do with.
post #7 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 2:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 20

Garage

my 918 got fresh blood (and filter) every 4,000 miles regardless and was perfect still after 42,000 miles, my 954 got it only by the book. I would say there are many factors that determine when you change it, but what every gives you peace of mind and is no more that the oil service recommended then I reckon you're going to be fine.
post #8 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea954rr View Post
r1, totally disagree with the 8k oil change. from oil tests i have seen, the oils lubricating quality's hold up that long, but the build up of acids and other impurities from the combustion process contaminates the oil far earlier.

the proof is in the science. i feel you would be better off running cheap oil and changing it every 3,000 miles, than running $10 a liter oil and changing it every 8,000.
Fair point on the acids resulting in contamination and yes I can see the logic in the regular cheaper oil changes. I used to do the same on an old car i had.

Still like to know why Honda specify 8,000 miles though, taking into account your point on the acids and impurities.

Cheers
Simon
post #9 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 9:26 PM

good question, and one i don't have an honest answer to. have noticed that in car manuals and obviously honda, it always seems to be 7,500 to 8,000 mile intervals, except they also throw in there to do it sooner under severe conditions. what denotes severe? i ride hard but also don't beat on the bike, but in the end its my piece of mind i'm paying for.

another thing to think about is the fact that the clutch friction and steel plates share the same oil, so i would imagine the garbage going in the filter is even greater. i haven't had my oil analyzed or cut open the oil filter after 3k, but like i said, i pay $40.00 US every time i change my oil in the end for my own piece of mind...
post #10 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 9:43 PM

I don't beat my bikes but I consider my riding to be severe duty. Hard acceleration frequent gear changes and the majority of an engines life spent in the upper 3/4's of it's RPM range must be hard on a motor. Although my oil change regiment is costly repairing a busted motor is expensive and results in loss of quality riding time. 12 oil changes in a 30,000 mile period would be $600 dollars. How much would it cost to rebuild or replace a motor?
post #11 of 27 Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 PM

Send a message via MSN to Repeater

Any one notice that the discusion is getting kinda wakey. I think the 8k he is talking about is KM and the US guys are talking 3000 miles.

8000 km is 4970.969536 miles.

I use Redline fully synthetic and change the oil every 3500 to 4k or every 6 months. more often if i am smoking the track pipe.

Aliens general, everything about them is alien!
post #12 of 27 Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 AM

I use Mobil 1 (yes the car oil, and no the clutch does not slip) and OEM filter. I have 3500 on my current change. I plan to change it in the beginning of the spring and it should be good for the whole summer. They say the oil is good for 15000 miles. so I change the oil and filter every 5000. In my other bikes I had When I used typical oil (no synthetic) I would change it about every 2000mi
post #13 of 27 Old 11-06-2006, 11:53 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
Any one notice that the discusion is getting kinda wakey. I think the 8k he is talking about is KM and the US guys are talking 3000 miles.

8000 km is 4970.969536 miles.

I use Redline fully synthetic and change the oil every 3500 to 4k or every 6 months. more often if i am smoking the track pipe.
The UK doesn't use the metric system, therefore he's definitely talking miles
post #14 of 27 Old 11-07-2006, 12:16 AM

Owners manual says 8,000 miles, the little one that comes with the bike. Everyone takes the time to read it right
post #15 of 27 Old 11-07-2006, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
The UK doesn't use the metric system, therefore he's definitely talking miles
Yep that's right, i did mean Honda recommend 8,000 mile oil change intervals.

Cheers
Simon

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page