1993 stock Fireblade headlight question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

1993 stock Fireblade headlight question

Hey-

I just picked up a '93 CBR900RR that's been really squidded out (Sharkskinz fairing, D&D pipe, carbon this 'n that) but is in excellent mechanical shape for its age and history. I want to go naked and install a single headlight to get a modern cafe/fighter look; just right for a winter project, since I picked the bike up for really cheap. Going back to stock bodywork would violate my cheapskate ratbike philosophy and the fairing it came with just doesn't work for me.

My question is: what was the stock wattage of each of the dual bulbs in the headlight that came on the '93? My manual shows two headlights and lists the wattage as 60/55, but doesn't specifically state that this wattage was for a single bulb or was split between two lower-wattage bulbs. Does that mean the bike came with two 60/55 watt headlight bulbs? The dual 3-wire harness on the bike doesn't appear to have been modified and matches the diagram in the Haynes manual. I'd like to know the stock configuration so I can have a better idea of what the bike can handle in terms of aftermarket single or double headlamps.

And as a bonus if anyone knows: if the bike did have two stock 60/55 watt bulbs, would it be feasible to rewire a single connection to the headlight relay in place of the dual three-wire connection (with heavier gauge wire, of course) and run a higher-wattage single bulb, like a 100/80?

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 8:10 PM

Re: 1993 stock Fireblade headlight question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascostreet View Post
Hey-

I just picked up a '93 CBR900RR that's been really squidded out (Sharkskinz fairing, D&D pipe, carbon this 'n that) but is in excellent mechanical shape for its age and history. I want to go naked and install a single headlight to get a modern cafe/fighter look; just right for a winter project, since I picked the bike up for really cheap. Going back to stock bodywork would violate my cheapskate ratbike philosophy and the fairing it came with just doesn't work for me.

My question is: what was the stock wattage of each of the dual bulbs in the headlight that came on the '93? My manual shows two headlights and lists the wattage as 60/55, but doesn't specifically state that this wattage was for a single bulb or was split between two lower-wattage bulbs. Does that mean the bike came with two 60/55 watt headlight bulbs? The dual 3-wire harness on the bike doesn't appear to have been modified and matches the diagram in the Haynes manual. I'd like to know the stock configuration so I can have a better idea of what the bike can handle in terms of aftermarket single or double headlamps.

And as a bonus if anyone knows: if the bike did have two stock 60/55 watt bulbs, would it be feasible to rewire a single connection to the headlight relay in place of the dual three-wire connection (with heavier gauge wire, of course) and run a higher-wattage single bulb, like a 100/80?

Thanks for the help!
Yessir. Stock is two seperate bulbs that are 60/55 watts each.

Running a single 100/80 bulb shouldn't be a problem. You could simply connect both three-wire harnesses into one connector.

Oh, and
post #3 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 8:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply and welcome!

Now I just need to track down a good source for the headlight unit. I'd like run double round lights like the Triumph Triple, but haven't found any that aren't ridiculously expensive. The single round is pretty affordable at less than $100 including brackets.

If anyone knows of a good source for stuff like that, that'd be greeaaat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-14-2006, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wascostreet View Post
If anyone knows of a good source for stuff like that, that'd be greeaaat.

Watch ebay and maybe some of the forums that attract more of the modding crowd. I'm sure somewhere there is someone who doesn't like their dual headlights and wants a single ... and if it is a winter project, you have time. Have fun

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page