Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Are Chrome Rims Worth The Money???

6K views 24 replies 23 participants last post by  CBR14 
#1 ·
Ive think that a set of chrome rims would look nice on my silver 06. I never had chrome rims on any of my other bikes, i was just wondering if they are worth the cost, and if they hold up?

#2 ·
You are going to get a million different perspectives on this one because each person has their own tastes. I personally love chrome and if i had the money would be paying to have the wheels chromed on my bike or getting a set of chrome wheels. But since i am still in school and not able to work a full load, i can't right now. But I think it would look sick.

About holding up, i think if the wheels are taken care of and you can live with cleaning them often then they will hold up. Using proper wax and cleaning often and now alloiwng any road salt or the like to get on it should be the key part. It also depends on what kind of chrome wheel you are looking into getting or if you are having it chromes and by who.

#4 ·
chrome is heavy and will increase the rotating mass.
this will slow down your bike and make handling suffer

if you are more into a show bike then this would obviously not be a problem

if you are more into performance then no this is not something that you would want

#11 ·
Chrome Plating is a cause of Hydrogen embrittlement... and can lead to cracking and loss of integrity... especially in alloys... chrome plating should NOT be used on any load bearing or other critical components....

Polishing would be a much safer option and IMO looks just as good as chrome... when done well...

Cheers!

#12 ·
Chrome Plating is a cause of Hydrogen embrittlement... and can lead to cracking and loss of integrity... especially in alloys... chrome plating should NOT be used on any load bearing or other critical components....

Polishing would be a much safer option and IMO looks just as good as chrome... when done well...

Cheers!
:plus1:
Chroming aluminum wheels also causes skinning effect and moves the load bearing stress from the core to the thin hard chrome surface.

#13 ·
Why not look at some annodized rims? They still shine similar to chrome and improve preformance instead of dercease it.

if you add ay kind of substantial weight(1-2 pounds) to your rims you WILL notice it.

I have annodized forged aluminum rims and they are durable and look great.:thumb:

but if your heart is stuck on chrome... go to it, it's your ride.

#14 ·
To answer your question, no. Chrome plating methods currently used on aluminum are not permanent. After a while water, road debris and washing causes the chrome to buble and come "loose". Also chrome plating aluminum causes hydrogen embrittlement to the aluminum wheel. What is that you ask?.. tiny stress cracks that are invisible to the naked eye.. and they occur under the chrome/nickel plating so you can't see them. Remember, you're on two wheels, not four and if a wheel decides to crack you're going to bear the brunt of the result.

Try chrome powder coating. It won't brittle the wheels like chrome.

#20 ·
Had mine done since 2001. no problems with them but I don't do trackdays and I dont wheelie. I usually only cruise and commute to work. I clean them with soap and water or windex and I only wax them once a year. If you don't ride really hard, which you shouldn't do on the streets anyway, it'll be ok.

Attachments

#24 ·
in past times european people sailing to new coutries used to fool natives with shiny objects like mirrors and glass and changed them for gold that had real value.

I think it's the same thing. there is something in the bling that makes people thing it's worth it. Actually the worth is totally subjectable value, if you think they are worth it, they are , but only for you. Other may think they are worthless, and he is just as right as you are.

JT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.