Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Air filters

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Whippet Goode 
#1 ·
We have a bit of a locust plague here just now, & on the Sunday spin I ran in to some of them. In some areas you had to slow down to 60ks, so I came home early, & started to clean them out of the radiator, because if you leave them its not long before the ants find them. I thought they may have got in the air intake, so I removed the tank cover & raised the fuel tank, very neat how it swings back. A small timber across the frame keeps it up, & then the air box cover can be removed. Sure enough there were some locusts inside the air filters. I noticed oil on the seal between filter & air box, is this any special oil, & is it on the filter itself also? I don’t have a manual & this is my first Fireblade, is it OK to blow the filters from outside in with compressed air, as they are only 4000ks old? Thanks in advance

#3 ·
Your Q would have to have an expanded answer. Yes, you can use compressed air to clean them up, it can also tear them up as well.

Money is a private matter as far as I'm concerned, but the OEM filters are rather expensive to replace. Which brings me to another issue with them. Ever look at the mouth of the OEM filter, then look at the mouth of an aftermarket filter. The OEM's is approx 25-30% smaller w/this funny looking spout (like one found on a pitcher). This is there strickly to meet EU & CA noise emissions.

I use BMC (race) on my '05; I love them! They are to be oiled with filter oil. This traps a bit more of the particulants. It also means they have to be cleaned more regularly... I don't live in an especially dusty, locust infested enviroment. But hey, how hard is to get to the filers? It's not. If you do go with aftermarket, you probably would consider the street version (has an extra layer).

This money issue extends to the Q of whether you plan to do other mods to your bike, eg: exhaust, PC-3, flapper mod, etc. If you do plan on some/all of those then the filter dove-tails wonderfully with it. Also, how many mi/k do you ride? If not many, you'd probably be better off with stock.

I realize that I undoubtedly did not answer your Q, but rather added others. Still, good things to ponder.

Cheers

#5 ·
:nono: OEM are not designed to be cleaned, tho' with that said one could use compressed air to remove the 'big chunks'. This type is a 'dry type' whilst the others are 'oiled type'.

Aftermarket are designed to be clean with a special filter cleaner, then re-oiled with a specifically designed filter oil. Their respective component material is quite different. It's all relative, tho'

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.