98 900rr having some electrical issues. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 4:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 900rr having some electrical issues.

Hey all, though I havent posted much I figured now might be a good time to get started.
My 98 900rr has an integrated tail kit and it isnt running the stock headlights. (its a wreck i am turning into a fighter.)
Anyway, one day the headlights wernt coming on and the tail light is working but both right and left blinkers were solid on.. I checked fuses and I didnt see anything wrong. I have pulled off the gas tank and plastics to follow the electrical lines and see if anything is shorting, but I havent seen anything out of the oridinary, so i was hoping maybe someone on here might have a couple suggestions for me?
Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 5:28 PM

Re: 98 900rr having some electrical issues.

Without actually being there and seeing the wiring it's gonna be tough to repair online. Electrical issues are always a pain.

If I were making a fighter I would pull everything thing apart and start from scratch. Then you can hide all the wiring while you repair it.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

Custom, thanks for the response. Yea, thats kind of what i figured. I am going to pull it all out this afternoon since I need to clean it up abit anyway, but I figured I would ask first just incase someone was like..oh on my bike it did that and i just did this to fix it. :-) Anyway, I will post up if I find any specific issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-16-2006, 5:35 PM

You never know, someone could give you an easy answer.

I would imagine you have a grounding issue somewhere though.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-12-2007, 1:31 AM

I have a 2001 929 with a similar problem. All my lighting is stock. I have checked all the wiring with no results. It does appear to be a ground issue because there is a vey light glow being emitted from the high beam blub. As you mentioned the front signal lights are always on.

I had this problem once before and I ended up changing the headlight relay. Just to change something. That seem to fix the problem. HOWEVER, I then changed back to the orginal relay and the system was still working and has contiued to work for more than eight months. Now the problem is back.

If anyone has any further suggestion I would be gald to hear them. If I find a real solution I will post it.

thanks
RLT
post #6 of 16 Old 03-12-2007, 1:40 AM Thread Starter

OldBlade,
I still havent found a solution yet. I agree that it is grounding somewhere but I have yet to find it. I have been working on painting. Almost done now and really time to focus on this electrical issue.
A friend of mine said he had a similar problem and it came from the starter button on the clip on, or something in there.
If you come up with a solution, please let me know. :-)
Now that the snow is gone i might go insane if i cant get it figured and the bike is all painted.
post #7 of 16 Old 03-12-2007, 3:39 AM

I would check to see your elect connections are clean and free of corrosion.I had a problem with my rear LED lights not coming on AFTER i took my rear tail off to check my rectifier,turned out to be a loose or dirty connection.Get some cleaner then use dielctric grease when you push the wires back in nice and snug.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-12-2007, 3:47 AM Thread Starter

I have checked all the connections i could find and nothing had any dirt in it. The tail light and brake light work fine, but the blinkers run solid, and I get no head light. Fuses all look great. What do the blinkers and head lights run through together besides the main console piece? The speedo does not tell me that blinkers are on or if the high beam is on and that is the main connection i can see to the headlight and blinker issue...
post #9 of 16 Old 03-13-2007, 11:19 PM

When I first bought my '98 900 I was having the same problem, they had routed the rear turn signal bulbs into the corners of the stock taillight and didn't secure them so every now and again it would rattle over and ground out on the bracket back there, I just insulated it and fixed the problem, I know this sounds pretty obvious but thought it might help.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-14-2007, 12:08 AM

You said the answer yourself custom tail light integrator and custom headlight/s There in lies your problem. Check the connections to those items. Make sure they used the same gauge wiring that Honda originally had on those connections. If it's all taped up peel it all off and find the short.

the headlight runs from power from a relay, possibly the relay burned out. Pull the relay off and check it for signs of burning.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 4:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I was off on vacation but I am going to check it out today/tomorrow and get back to you. The tail light wiring looks the same guage as stock, but the headlight wiring might not be. I will check that out and the relay. Thanks again!
post #12 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 4:22 PM

Depending on how jacked the wiring is, it might not be a bad idea to keep an eye open on eBay for a new/used harness so you can kind of start from scratch.
I had an older bike once I basically had to run my own new wires from where I knew it was good near the harness to the back for tail lights and such. This was pre-ebay where I would have had to buy something brand new from the dealer and was going to be way too expensive.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-20-2007, 9:48 PM

I had a similar problem, with my bike running a taillight integrator, flush sides, and stock fronts, and the problem was that the harness routed up through the forks had worn out, and had a break/open internally. I just took a ziptie, put a loop in the wire to where it would work, and the problem hasn't returned.

I do have a spare 98 harness, I just bought for my 97, but they aren't compatable, so its either going to be returned or resold, if you are interested.
post #14 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 2:59 AM Thread Starter

TD, thanks, I think i may have found the issue though.

After reading this post
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...tml#post374489
I figured i was having the same problem.
At first I thought it might have been a relay issue and i checked them out, but everything was ok. I used a multimeter and it looked like everything was fine. I then resorted back to that post and messed with grounding and just ran a wire from the green wire to the frame and the lights turned on just fine.
So, it is a grounding problem but i cannot exactly find where.
So, I began tracing it back through connectors and I may have figured it out. In the big speedo plug in if i put a wire in the tiny hole that the ground wire goes into, and i put that wire against the frame the lights turn on. If i put the wire from the little hole into the pin that goes in it on the speedo it does not work. What does this mean? Nothing? Something? Is something in my speedo messed up so that it is not grounding correctly at that point?
Thanks to everyone for their help so far! :-)
I love the fireblade community.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-21-2007, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

ok, i woke up realizing the ground probably wasnt in the speedo but that the speedo was probably using the same ground as the lights and blinkers etc.
Does anyone know where this wire actually grounds? is it bolted to the frame anywhere?
Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page