Black smoke - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-17-2006, 2:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Black smoke

I was looking at another thread. Here https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...to-shorty.html

Concerning the video. My bike makes the same black puff when I get on the throttle good or just rev it hard the same as he does in the video. Is this common on these bikes? Is this just a rich condition? Does this mean it needs tuned or is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-17-2006, 6:48 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Black smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam954 View Post
I was looking at another thread. Here https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...to-shorty.html

Concerning the video. My bike makes the same black puff when I get on the throttle good or just rev it hard the same as he does in the video. Is this common on these bikes? Is this just a rich condition? Does this mean it needs tuned or is this normal?
Yeah, I have the same thing as that guy... Wait a minute, I am that guy!

I think I am running a tiny rich at the moment. Not wnough to hurt anything, but as soon as I get my HTEV Eliminator I am gonna have the map tested and retuned.

I think the puff of smoke is from the Accelerator pump feature on the PCIII. The tuner said that he uses it on some bikes if they need it.

he had it on the dyno and had the A/F dialed in perfectly, but he showed me when he goosed it how it leaned out for half a second, and then he turned that on and it stayed at the proper ratio when he opened the throttle.

Some bikes it really doesn't make a difference on, but mine it did.

I dunno though. I had the map made for a different bolt-on can, and then I through on the Yoshi and then cut it down without retuning it, so it may very well be off, but not by very much or I would notice it when driving it.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-2006, 8:59 PM

Reputation Power: 66

Send a message via Yahoo to bettingpython
Re: Black smoke

There is nothing wrong with it. Bone stock with full oem exhaust my 954 would throw a black puff until it reaches full operating temps. It still does it with the Jardine as well. It is also worse during cold weather as the intake air charge is cold and the ecu enriches the mixture until it reaches operating temps. During the cold season leave the throtlle alone for the first minute or so after starting the bike, if you immediately try cracking the throttle there is a big chance you may flood it and that sucks to clear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page