How hard to change plugs on 954rr? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 9:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

How hard to change plugs on 954rr?

Is this something that is relatively easy to do, or should I have a shop or dealer do it? I think it is like $200 with parts and labor at the local Honda dealer.

I used to change the plugs on my old Seca II, but that was easy as you had access to the plugs without having to remove the tank or anything.

I seem to recall someone saying that you could take off the fairings and some of the radiator bolts to swing that out of the way?

Whatcha guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 9:56 PM

Re: How hard to change plugs on 954rr?

I have yet to do it myself, so this is all hearsay, but it's easier to go in through the top.

Take of the gas tank and the airbox and the plugs should be right there on top.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm... Tank takes 5 minutes to remove... Never removed the airbox though... is it hard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:13 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

airbox is pretty easy. take off all the bolts along the perimeter and the 2 in the middle and the top comes off. then unbolt the velocity stacks. unplug the coils off the plugs and then use the spark plug tool that came with the bike (regular spark plug sockets and wrenches are a huge pain in the ass).

not sure where you're getting the plugs from but I get them from Spark plug, Spark plug wire, spark plug gap, spark plug cross reference and ignition wires at Sparkplugs.com $12 each for Denso Iridiums.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Cool. Can I assume that the plugs for the 929 are the same as the 954rr?
post #6 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:24 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

I'm not positive but I assume so. my little writeup is based on doing them on a 929 but I can't see it being any different on a 954. the sparkplugs.com website will list the correct plugs for the bike.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 PM

Reputation Power: 14

recently did mine, and agree with everything in the previous post, just a couple other things to add. if you have compressed air, after you remove the coil packs, and before you pull the plugs, blow out the area. make sure to put anti-seize on the new plug threads, and not to over tighten. one trick i use for plugs that the access is deep down is to use a piece of heater hose, or any hose that will firmly hold the plug, and use this to screw in the new plug until it seats, this way its impossible to cross thread as you will feel any resistance.

all in all not a hard job at all...
post #8 of 10 Old 12-18-2006, 10:48 PM

I changed the plugs in my bike twice without removing the airbox. it was a MAJOR pain in the ass. I didnt remove the airbox because I didnt know that I could. That sounds like it would be a LOT easier. Next time i will be removing the airbox. Good luck with them plugs.

Removing the fairings can seem overwhelming at first but its actually very easy. Just take your time and remember what goes where. The one thing to remember with the fairing bolts is that there are three different bolt types. The regular thread, and two kinds that are threaded and have like a spacer on them. The two with the spacers are different from each other. One has a big spacer and the other is smaller. In case you forget which goes where, the bolts are threaded differently. So, if it seems reluctant going in, DO NOT FORCE IT. Also, if you look at the holes, you'll be able to tell which hole gets the bigger or smaller spaced bolt. And dont overtighten them bolts, it will make the holes in the fairing pull in.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-19-2006, 5:14 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea954rr View Post
one trick i use for plugs that the access is deep down is to use a piece of heater hose, or any hose that will firmly hold the plug, and use this to screw in the new plug until it seats, this way its impossible to cross thread as you will feel any resistance.
Top tip, added to your rep.

Cheers
Simon
post #10 of 10 Old 12-19-2006, 7:10 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Send a message via Yahoo to sscottab

the plugs are not hard to replace on the 954 just prop the tank up and remove the top of the air cleaner, remember to put a rag over the intake so nothing falls in while you are working. remove the coils and plugs, like someone said it is a good idea to blow the tube out before you remove the plugs and never seize is always a good idea and the rubber hose also works. just take your time and you should do fine.

when you are on a honda you are on the best
2002 CBR954RR
scott
www.itriderz.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page