CCT installation - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-21-2006, 9:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CCT installation

My old CCT lifter went bad after 12,000 miles. The bike is a 95 900RR. I purchased a new APE manual lifter and installed it this evening. The engine sounds not so great when kneeling beside it on the right side ( where the cct it located ). I'm hearing a "fast rubbing noise" from the engine now. Almost like the cam chain is rubbing too much on the plastic tensioner inside the engine.

This is how i adjusted the new APE unit: pulled the oem self adjusting unit off the engine, then by eyeball adjusted the screw on the APE unit to purtrude into the engine as far as the OEM unit was. I then screwed the APE unit onto the engine.

So noticing this sound of plastic rubbing on chain i backed the tensioner bolt back off a few turns. Do you guys hear that " rubbing chain" sound from your 900RR's engine? It's hard to adjust these things by ear because these engines make a clacking noise when they run great or not so great. The rubbing noise I am hearing sounds like a small motor/fan being blown on with compressed air... you know that wizzzzz noise?

How should I go about adjusting the APE tensioner. I already searched the mostly useless info here on the forums about "CCT". My question was not found in there. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-22-2006, 11:40 AM
TCD

Re: CCT installation

I can only speak for my old SV, but the stock CCT would extend fully when removed from the case, unless the key was inserted to lock the length prior to removal. Did you lock the length before you removed the stock CCT? If not, it sounds like the new one is adjusted way too tight. I cannot offer a suggestion on how to adjust the manual one, however. Good luck!
post #3 of 4 Old 12-22-2006, 1:56 PM Thread Starter

I think you may be right about that. After i posted here last night I went and loosened the adjustment on the CCT. Most of the 'whinning noise' went away and the bike runs much much better. I may loosen it one more turn out to see if that noise can be completely removed.

Just for research and knowledge sake i'm going to disasemble the oem CCT to see how they are put together. I know on this stock unit it was all out of adjustment - when I went to turn the adjuster one click in all it did was spring back to where it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2007, 4:46 PM

Reputation Power: 15

" This is how i adjusted the new APE unit: pulled the oem self adjusting unit off the engine, then by eyeball adjusted the screw on the APE unit to purtrude into the engine as far as the OEM unit was. I then screwed the APE unit onto the engine."

yep, it extends out when you pull it out.

I have heard one unofficial way to adjust manual cam chain adjuster. just wind it in with fingers. then start the engine and try to tighten it with fingers. gentle finger tightness should be ok. at least it's not too tight then.

Automatic cam chain tensioner works like this. It always want's to get tighter. usually there is system that prevents it from getting loose, but sometimes that toothed part slips and it occasionally gets loos. usually bad CCT can be seen by looking at the CCT teeths, if they are shiny or worn it's clear indication that the adjuster has moved all the time and the teeths are worn or shiny.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page