Disc Locks - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Disc Locks

Has anyone ever used one? I'm moving to an apartment complex and was looking at getting one. I found Xena lock that has a 110db siren with motion sensors in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 1:26 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: Disc Locks

I always use one when I leave my bike unattended away from home.

However, in your case, I would look at a more secure method that will stop people lifting it away. Maybe use a ground anchor and a chain as well as the disc lock. (That's what I do).

When you look at a disc lock, the MOST IMPORTANT thing is how secure it is from the various forms of attack, things like alarms are more of a gimmick IMO. The UK mag, Ride, often tests these sort of things and rates them according to their resistance to attack.

If you want to know some of the best rated one's, I'll let you know.

Cheers
Simon
post #3 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 1:54 PM

just remember to take it off before you go ride.... see if you can rent a storage unit close by, some apt complexes have garages and storage facilities available
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 2:12 PM

I put an electrical type zap strap (tywrap) around the bars close to the throttle. What you do its cut the excess off except for about 2". Then I used some bright nail polish (no not my own) to paint the tip so that it is noticeable. I rotate it up so that I can see it when the lock in on the disc. When you take the lock off rotate the zap strap down or to the horizontal so that the paint and strap are not as noticeable.
Yes some locks come with a strap or lanyard.
post #5 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 2:47 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triax View Post
Has anyone ever used one? I'm moving to an apartment complex and was looking at getting one. I found Xena lock that has a 110db siren with motion sensors in it.

In South Florida they just pick up your bike and put it in the van. But I guess it's better then nothing.

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #6 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 3:05 PM

My bike was picked up and carried. And the disc lock could be rekeyed and sold on ebay too.
post #7 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 3:43 PM Thread Starter

I have a garage, i'm more or less just concerned with when i have to run in the apartment for like thirty minutes not having to put it in the garage on the other side of the complex. That way I could just put that lock on it when its sitting directly in front of the apartment while i'm in side.
post #8 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 4:27 PM

In my humble opinion, they're more trouble than they are worth. If someone want's your bike, a disc lock is not going to even slow them down............on the other hand, I've heard of many people that forgot to take it off before starting off on their bike, and dumped their bike because of it.
post #9 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 6:49 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolcbr View Post
In my humble opinion, they're more trouble than they are worth. If someone want's your bike, a disc lock is not going to even slow them down............on the other hand, I've heard of many people that forgot to take it off before starting off on their bike, and dumped their bike because of it.
That's why I use a lanyard for my 'Thatcham-approved' lock. I never leave my bike out of sight. If I do leave it, it's in a very public area and in a position where it would be difficult for somebody to park a van near to it.

In Victoria (Australia), we are fortunate to be able to park our bikes on the sidewalk as long as we're not obstructing pedestrians. That way, there's always a car between my bike and the road...so a truck would have to double-park if they wanted to load up the bike.

But I do have insurance for the full value of my bike.
post #10 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 10:11 PM

Reputation Power: 14

i use one that has the cable to put on the throttle, so no issue on taking off with it on. its also nice to lock the helmet with the bike by looping it through the helmet and locking it to the disc. i feel this is just a deterent to the random attack, and i also park on the sidewalks or by the door at stores so to keep the bike very visable. if its a professional with a van, i don't think any alarm or lock is gonna stop them. same with car alarms, if a pro wants it, its gone. lojak seems like the only thing worth a damn.

if you can't put your bike inside something, i highly agree with the anchor, and a very serious chain to secure the crap out of it.
post #11 of 30 Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 PM

Reputation Power: 14

I lost my bike sitting on a sidewalk in front of my apt. I would recomend that you rent garage at the apt. or at the very lest consider renting a house. The apt. mangment dose not take kindly to the building of moats with alligators and draw bridges. Do not ask how I learned this.
post #12 of 30 Old 12-29-2006, 8:18 AM

Reputation Power: 31

I'd lock it to something with a chain, through the frame if possible. Abus makes some very good locks and chains. The LockItt Company - Motorcycle security - Locks, Luggage, Accessories - Distributors for ABUS locks, Oxford Luggage and Accessories, Cobralinks, Taffynackles and EMGO
post #13 of 30 Old 01-02-2007, 2:47 PM

duct tape a pistol holster to the bike. when the thieves see it empty, they'll think twice.
post #14 of 30 Old 01-02-2007, 4:20 PM Thread Starter

Hahaha thats a pretty good one.
post #15 of 30 Old 01-03-2007, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post
duct tape a pistol holster to the bike. when the thieves see it empty, they'll think twice.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page