Exhaust valve question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 3:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Exhaust valve question

Hi all,
Just picked up a 954 with 800 miles on it for $5.3K I can see everyone now The bike is stock with exception of a slipon.

Question:
1. At what point would you remove the HVIX exhaust valve system to keep all exhaust flowing out all exits vice the way it is designed stock?

2. How may people have modified their airbox to full open and it made a difference? If it made a difference, did your bike have an aftermarket air filter and P3 installed?

Thanks

Last edited by simple guy; 04-15-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 11:38 AM

Re: Exhaust valve question

If yo do some searching around you will find the answers to all your questions. I would post links, but your answers are in multiple threads and I'm to lazy.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 4:17 PM Thread Starter

I did for 5 hours last night and found 2 instances where there was communicaiton about the airbox and a few on the exhaust. Most every threads conversations leads from one topic to the next in a single thread so this is why I ask.

I'm not understanding why the exhaust is controlled the way it is when all other bikes are full open. Plus there was no real answer on yes remove the valve and go full open or don't touch it because. Lots of "I bought a full exhaust" but nothing on replace.

Very little on the intake. A was able to find 2 pieces of useful information but not very convencing with regard to what the effects would be.

Last edited by simple guy; 01-28-2007 at 4:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 5:21 PM

Welcome .
I'll tell you my experience..for what its worth.
I have a 2k 929rr and I thought I needed it to sound better and have more power, so I did what you are contimplating and got a full exhaust and two Bros. slip on...two days later removed it and it is in my garage, not on my bike.
If you do this you also need a power commander to smooth out your bottom end, it rev's quicker,but on take off it seem to lag without the commander. So you will need to spend another $270 min. so ask yourself; do I want to waste my time messing with my bike for a few horsepower that I wont use anyhow.
I also had problems after removing the valve,kept having a engine light on, only thru a lot of research and headaches had I found the answer,the servo that operates the valve sends its position back to the computer and if it see the wrong position, it errors.
To sum it all up: just enjoy your stock exhaust(I do have a Yosh pipe) and get a power commander first, later if you still need more power,do it. Its such a small gain its not worth screwing with.
Good luck.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome 929Fregm. Good info. Best yet after 5 hours. So if you do remove the Exh valve how would one keep the signal going to keep the engine light off. Do you just remove the cable and let it do whatever. I did not see an electrical wire going to the valve at the exhaust on the header.

What about your intake valve? Info... Any recommendations on the airfilter replacement? I hear the K&N is out and the BMC is in?

Last edited by simple guy; 01-28-2007 at 6:20 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 7:50 PM

I gutted my valve and locked it in the fully open position and added a Scorpion high-mount slipon, PCIII and had it custom mapped.

Just over 136hp at the wheel. With a low mount slipon my best run was 142hp, but I wanted the high mount so I sacrificed a few HP.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 7:57 PM

First the valve is mechanical, but its controled by an electrical servo(sm motor) by cables.
If you do remove the cables from the servo mark its location before removing the cables. If it rotates you can reposition it(gently with fingers).There are wires connected to the servo under the tank.(I am assuming your bike is the same layout as mine).
Once you do that you can remove the valve.(mechincal part in the header)but the servo has to stay wired up. Now do you know you will need to either replace the valve with an eliminator <http://showcase.netins.net/web/draftingunlimited/page8.html> or full exhaust. The eliminator is less expensive.I would keep the stock setup, it is titanim anyway and get a can for it. If you search the site for HTEV valve, you'll see a lot about it.
I don't know enough about the air filter chioce( I have the K&N) and then saw the dyno results and was amazed that the K&N sucked vs stock.
Im sure you'll hear a lot of opinions;this is mine. Hope it helps you decide.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 8:31 PM

Look here to answer most of you exhaust questions drafting unlimited & hass motorsports

Use stock filter. You will find dyno sheets that prove it on this site.

On the 954 you can tuck the flapper under something in the box, this way if you don't like it you just un-tuck it.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 8:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I did see the hass motorsports thing last night. I also read about the stock filter virses the K&N in a thread. What about the BCM race filter; Better than stock or not?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page