17" Conversion - Tire choices - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2007, 7:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

17" Conversion - Tire choices

I have a 95 Blade and my 17" F3 front rim should be here in a few days.

If all goes well, my only problem will be the choice of tires to fit on the new rim. Ideally I would like to keep the same steering geometry as the original 16" rim. My blade will be pulling track-only duty for at least the next ten months or so, and I am very comfortable with the way it handles now.

What tire sizes do the tire officianados suggest?

Secondary to all of that.... when I acquire another street ride... say for instance a 954RR or 1000RR.... I would like to use my own track takeoffs for the street so that I wont feel like I am wasting money on tires.... how would I factor in the new profile tire for both bikes?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-jh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2007, 12:23 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: 17" Conversion - Tire choices

120/70 is what i had mounted on my F3 front wheel. I did have to adjust the front fender to raise it up alittle as to not rub. I'm not sure though how your fender will mount with the larger wheel and tire. If you want to take it to the track use a 120/70 front and a 180 rear, this will allow you two have the most nimple and flickable bike possible. I'm not sure what size rear the 95 comes with stock but hopefully this helps.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-08-2007, 8:42 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Yup, 120/70 on the front and 180/55 on the rear.

Michelin Pilot Power's have NEVER steered anybody wrong. All people do is rave about them, including me! They are like a race tire for the road.

When you put the F3 wheel on, you'll need to raise the forks in the triples by 10-15mm. Use vernier calipers for the measurement to make sure that both forks are raised exactly even with each other.

Re the race takeoffs, I have no idea why you would even contemplate using race tires on the road. That's not good. Surefire way to get hassled by the cops, and be up for a big spill if you ever hit wet pavement! If you absolutely had to do it, you'll find that the 120/70 and 180/55 combo is fine for all the bikes you mentioned. Where the stock tire was 190, a lot of racers actually use 180/55 rears because these tires give better turn in.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2007, 9:23 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sime View Post
Re the race takeoffs, I have no idea why you would even contemplate using race tires on the road. That's not good. Surefire way to get hassled by the cops, and be up for a big spill if you ever hit wet pavement! If you absolutely had to do it, you'll find that the 120/70 and 180/55 combo is fine for all the bikes you mentioned. Where the stock tire was 190, a lot of racers actually use 180/55 rears because these tires give better turn in.
No, not race takeoffs ..... just regular, street legal tread, track day take offs ... like if I used Pilot Powers for the track... after they've exceeded their track safety limits, I use them for the street.

I am not fast enough for race tires just yet. maybe in another 5 years?

-jh
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 AM

you can use them for the street but i would be careful while cornering seen that are already cooked after some serious track use.

i dont know if there you can find the rennsport, almost a slick tire, soft enough and much sportier than the regular street tires
we found a great supply of rennsport, 2006 production, at a gooooooooood price . production ceased.

i've seen a friend with m1 front 16' and rear rennsport, on an old blade going 8 sec faster than good riders with gsxr 1000 and racing tires ...but he is an ex pilot (now instructor)
that gives me confidence that the bike is not so dated, and if your good, u'll make a good time

you can consider slicks for only track use, the should last longer than your street tires that loose their properties after some serious track abuse

give it some gas bro!!
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2007, 9:38 PM

powers can take a beating on the track and out perform any tire on the street.even cooked

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page