Rear Tyre Performance / Wear - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rear Tyre Performance / Wear

Only got 3k on my rear tyre and i would not expect to get anymore than another 1k out of it, no abuse other that hard riding. I currently have the OEM tyre on her BT015., must admit a little shocked as on my 919 blade I had the Pilot Sports on her and managed to get 8k on the first rear and 7 on the second, can assure you I do put them through there paces.

All things said the BT015 has been great other than the wear issue. Considering going to the BT014 can anyone tell me the differance in the two as the BT015 not available, is the BT014 a slightly harder compound? Can anyone suggest another good all round tyre, and is it a good practice to mix and match between front and back tyre brands???

Appreciate any feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 12:58 AM

Re: Rear Tyre Performance / Wear

got a Pirelli Diablo on the rear of my 929, i like it. And Ronayersmotorsports was running a sale on them for like $119 for the 190/50 !
post #3 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 1:00 AM

oh yeah, and as far as 'mixing and matching front/rear tires ,i wouldn't think it's any problem,just a matter of choice .....i have a pilot power on the front
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 1:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade929 View Post
oh yeah, and as far as 'mixing and matching front/rear tires ,i wouldn't think it's any problem,just a matter of choice .....i have a pilot power on the front
So far feedback in Aussie is in favour of the Pilot Power.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 2:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie View Post
Only got 3k on my rear tyre and i would not expect to get anymore than another 1k out of it, no abuse other that hard riding. I currently have the OEM tyre on her BT015., must admit a little shocked as on my 919 blade I had the Pilot Sports on her and managed to get 8k on the first rear and 7 on the second, can assure you I do put them through there paces.

All things said the BT015 has been great other than the wear issue. Considering going to the BT014 can anyone tell me the differance in the two as the BT015 not available, is the BT014 a slightly harder compound? Can anyone suggest another good all round tyre, and is it a good practice to mix and match between front and back tyre brands???

Appreciate any feedback.
Should be noted Km's not miles.
post #6 of 12 Old 02-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I have never ridden on Bridgestone hoops but I know a lot of people like them - their consistent comment though is that they wear fast (or at least the Bridgestone sports tyres wear fast).

Since I've been back on bikes after a 10+ year gap I've used Metzlers (M1s) which felt really good (but only gave around the same mileage as your talking about from your Bridgestones), and Michelins - Pilot Power, Pilot Race, and now Pilot Power 2CT...all of these tyres have been sensational as far as grip and feel go - and on the road I have been getting aroiund 6000Kms per set (I wear my front as fast as the rear...too much corner speed my tyre guy is trying to tell me, but it doesn't feel like it to me !).

I wouldn't recommend the Pilot Race for the road as you've got to be careful to get a bit of temperature into it - but if you can they stick like nothing else I've ridden on !

Good luck,

Spanky.
post #7 of 12 Old 02-10-2007, 10:53 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Mixing tyres is OK but it's a good idea to make sure the front is as sticky if not more so than the rear.

I got 4k km out of my rear M1. Mates doing similar riding are getting 5k km out of rear Powers.

A Pilot Road rear and Power front works well. You get the extra k's. There's a bit of a weave on sweepers and the Road gets just a bit squirelly cranked right over but doesn't surprise you.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-11-2007, 4:03 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie View Post

Appreciate any feedback.

That is almost 5000 miles (8000 kilometers), i cant see it. Did you go down 10 on the front sprocket?
post #9 of 12 Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 AM

I was told that you should not mix match tires. The different profiles could have a bad impact on performance.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-11-2007, 11:07 AM

I'm surprised that you only got 3K. I put hard 6.5K on my BT's(came OEM). Bought a set of Mich PP's. Hope I can get close the BT's. I don't want to changing oil and tires at the same time.
post #11 of 12 Old 02-11-2007, 8:40 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Mileage is irrelevant. All may say they "Run the bike and got X,000 miles out of the brand X tire. But each person has different riding styles and road surfaces which relate to different wear factors. Get a tire that you like and try it. I have been through alot of tires and am still testing them to see who I will stay with. So far it is Dunlop that is getting my $$. BTW all my miles are on the track and I average about 3 days out of a set of tires.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #12 of 12 Old 02-11-2007, 9:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback looks like I will go with PP's.
Cheers
Rhiodie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page