Rear wheel issues... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Rear wheel issues...

I am trying to remove my rear wheel and I'm having some trouble. I have removed the axle nut, spacer, loosened the adjusting bolts on both sides and removed the caliper. Is there anything else I'm missing here? I have been pounding on the rear axle for a while with a rubber mallet and the axle will not budge. I dont want to continue ripping on it if there is somehting else that i need to adjust first. Let me know if you have any ideas here, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 3:28 PM

Re: Rear wheel issues...

Stick your foot under the rear tire to give it a bit of leverage, then try tapping it with the mallet again. When reinstalling the rear axle be sure to put some grease on that puppy.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

I've had tension off of the rear axle the whole time. It has been propped up a lil bit, but still no movement. I've tried everything I can think of and the local shop didnt offer much help. Not sure where to go from here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 5:00 PM

Was the bike ever crashed or did you damage the rear wheel?
I wish I could offer more ideas but it sounds like either your axle might be bent or it just might be seized in the wheel. Try squirting some WD-40 and see if that helps.

I've never owned a 954 so I'm just taking some guesses based on some other bikes I owned in the past. I'll try to think of some other stuff.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 5:14 PM Thread Starter

WD-40 didnt work either. The bike has not been crashed by me and the prevoius owner said it hadnt been crashed either. So I'm thinkin it is the axle, its most likely seized.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 6:25 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Had the same trouble with my 954, seized inside the wheel. Try plenty of WD, CRC etc, leave to soak in for a day or so then get a block of hardwood that you can hold on the end of the axle,(no nut) and get a mate to hold another block of wood against the swingarm beside the axle on the other side to make the axle gets all the force not the swingarm and the swingarm bushes.Took a few good whacks with a reasonable sized lump hammer but it did work. Carefull not to miss, those swingarms dent easy, good luck, Macca
post #7 of 12 Old 03-10-2007, 7:05 PM

You could have a really bad bearing. Your axle may have to be replaced.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 11:39 AM
Yep...that would hurt ya!

Reputation Power: 19

Something is wrong - something must be bent or out of aligmnemt. That axle should come right out. Take a piece of PVC that roughly fits the dimensions of the axle and use that as a tool instead of directly hitting the axle. This will allow you to hit much harder with no damage to the axle.

"....and people in hell want ice water".
post #9 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
Had the same trouble with my 954, seized inside the wheel. Try plenty of WD, CRC etc, leave to soak in for a day or so then get a block of hardwood that you can hold on the end of the axle,(no nut) and get a mate to hold another block of wood against the swingarm beside the axle on the other side to make the axle gets all the force not the swingarm and the swingarm bushes.Took a few good whacks with a reasonable sized lump hammer but it did work. Carefull not to miss, those swingarms dent easy, good luck, Macca
That is the issue for sure the axle is seized on the bearings and the spacer in between the bearings.

Worst case scenrio you may need to replace the axle if you damage it. They should not be that expensive and you may find a used one cheap.

Seized axles usually happen like that when people "pressure wash" the bike forcing the lube out and water and dirt in causing the seizure.

Pressure washer = bad around bikes.......
post #10 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 6:00 PM

Reputation Power: 16

What lube should go on to the axle? When we had mine out, we just re-inserted the thing after the chain and sprocket replacement. Not knowing the solution, I allowed it. Fortunately no pressure washer here.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-11-2007, 6:22 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abjatrer View Post
What lube should go on to the axle? When we had mine out, we just re-inserted the thing after the chain and sprocket replacement. Not knowing the solution, I allowed it. Fortunately no pressure washer here.
axle grease
post #12 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 AM

If in doubt, give it a clout

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page