To all who think the 954 is faster - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 3:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 19

Re: To all who think the 954 is faster

At Fontana, one of the fastest dudes there (4 seconds faster than me...but I'm not fast), complemented mine and my buddies RC's saying they surprised him because he couldn't pull us on the straights....cool dude, he'd outbrake us into every turn and pass us that way, that guy was insane, he'd go by me as I was braking into a turn and I'd think, 'He's gonna die!' Real class act though, he gave us both credit saying we rode that big ass bike very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 3:38 PM
Jay

Reputation Power: 0

I thought you were going to speak about how you slid past a 954 during the low-side.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 3:40 PM Thread Starter

Actually I was following him trying to keep up when I low-sided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Mattress : Actually I was following him trying to keep up when I low-sided
Dooooh---

Hehheheheh---the guy musta been a 'tard---my little 929 has pulled every RC51 on the straights that it met---I think he wasnt getting high enough RPMs on the drive out of the corners---In fact the only V-twin that smoked it (on the straights) was apparently one of Goberts old 996's----fortunately for me the new owner wasnt quite as adept at going around corners....got it all on video---one of these days Ill upload it

post #5 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 4:59 PM

The 954 IS faster than the RC51.

in a straight line.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:03 PM

OK, this last Saturday during open practice for the Fasttrax event at Grattan, I was working on suspension and made some 20 or so 2 to 5 lap runs and then back in for adjustments. *There were a few 750s, several 600s and 2 GSXR 1000s out during this time. *On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight. *I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish. *On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised . . .

post #7 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:05 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

Quote:
abtech : OK, this last Saturday during open practice for the Fasttrax event at Grattan, I was working on suspension and made some 20 or so 2 to 5 lap runs and then back in for adjustments. *There were a few 750s, several 600s and 2 GSXR 1000s out during this time. *On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight. *I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish. *On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised . . .
So are you liking the RC then?

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #8 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:11 PM

Actually, I love it. I just didn't expect it to be that quick. Obviously, I don't know the various details involved during the above described scenarios, but I do know that I was able to run several 1:27s after getting the suspension dialed in and this was on a cold, partially wet track. My best time on the 929 was a 1:25 and change under relatively ideal conditions, so I guess this bike is sort of 'sneaky fast' after all. It's not as intimidating as the 29, but I swear it feels every bit as fast once you get rolling . . .
post #9 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:14 PM

Quote:
abtech : On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight. *I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish. *On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.
That's not good enough for me...'02 RC51 for sale!!!
post #10 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:19 PM

Quote:
abtech : Actually, I love it. *I just didn't expect it to be that quick. *Obviously, I don't know the various details involved during the above described scenarios, but I do know that I was able to run several 1:27s after getting the suspension dialed in and this was on a cold, partially wet track. *My best time on the 929 was a 1:25 and change under relatively ideal conditions, so I guess this bike is sort of 'sneaky fast' after all. *It's not as intimidating as the 29, but I swear it feels every bit as fast once you get rolling . . .
Quick,

Someone print this thread before he edits his post! I thought i'd never see that...

I think he was being 'frank' with us gents!
post #11 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:39 PM

Don't bother printing it, it will stand as written. As with all of my bikes the slowest part has always been the rider. I never blasted the RC in the past (even though they were never a problem on the track as I was always able to motor them, except for 'Double D' over on Rogue, as we were always about even up in terms of times).

The bike is a blast to ride except for the bit of vibration in the bars (I'm sure this is due to the Woodcraft clipons as they have no weights).
post #12 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:42 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 32

I've never had a vibration problem, but I'm still using the stock clipons.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #13 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 5:49 PM

Reputation Power: 21

One of my buds who was at the Fireblades.org day @ JenningsGP with a worked motor on his GSXR1K, cam work and such, couldn't reel in someone on an RC coming out of turn 1 and down the back stretch. Granted his suspension wasn't exactly ideal and who knows what the RC had under it. We did tease him a little about it. He's a fast rider with a lot of track time under his belt. It was a precious moment.
post #14 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 6:38 PM

Quote:
tigerblade : I've never had a vibration problem, but I'm still using the stock clipons.
Like I mentioned, they have no bar end weights and the vibration is about on a par with the TZ250, so it's really just nit picking. The only thing that is strange about the RC is the fact that the battery seems barely able to turn it over. It has always started, but it sounds like it's on death's door. I have jump started it just to check and it sounds the same: about 2 revolutions, nothing, 2 more and then it starts.

I don't know if it has the stock battery or something else, as it has a custom 'electronics' tray and the battery appears to be different than the pics in the manual. At any rate, once it starts, it's all good . . .
post #15 of 32 Old 09-29-2003, 6:43 PM Thread Starter

Probably has the smaller battery, there are two popular sizes, the stock....and one that is smaller/lighter, with less amps, I can't remember the models of each, it's on Rogue though

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page