CBR 929 RR -- VALVE TAP??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 2:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR 929 RR -- VALVE TAP???

Hey guys! I just joined Fireblades.org.

I just had a new motor built for my 929 because of the fact the case was cracked (by the stator) because the previous owner dropped it.

Anyway, I got the motor back in the bike and started it and I am getting a semi-loud valve tap from the left side of the cylinder head. <---The noise makes my eyes do this! LOL! I thought it was a valve clearance issue but all valves are within clearance range.

I have let the bike go through several heat cycles figuring that is might just need to run and "break-in". This was NOT the case, unfortunately!

The engine makes really good power and runs smooth, but this DAMN tapping noise is going to drive me crazy!

SOMEONE HELP!!! THANKS FOR YOUR TIME.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 2:46 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: CBR 929 RR -- VALVE TAP???

so take it to the person who built the motor and have them check everything
post #3 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 2:47 PM

oh and
to the board
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

I would love to, but it seems it is more complicated than that.

Unfortunately, it is the owner of Stoid Racing in Dallas, TX that built this motor because he is a friend of a best friend of mine. He built the engine for next to nothing and virtually gave me a new set of engine cases (Honda retail value = $2,200).
post #5 of 48 Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 PM

I've built a lot of car engines, some for friends. If one of my friends ever complained I would definately take a look. First off my pride would be at stake. I would be upset with myself if I built a shitty engine especialy for a friend.
post #6 of 48 Old 04-28-2007, 8:31 AM

It doesn't matter if he charged you 50,000 or did it for a reach around, if he runs a business he should take a look at it for the sake of it's his work and I'm sure he doesn't want his name sullied

Where abouts in Dallas are you
post #7 of 48 Old 05-02-2007, 5:01 PM Thread Starter

I am on the North side of Dallas. I actually live in the Lewisville area.

Well, i took your advise and brought my bike (with the motor in it) back to him so he could hear the noise. He said it sounds like a cam chain! But I have my doubts because the cam chain has ABSOLUTELY no slack in it what so ever. Also, the noise is very pronounced on the left side of the engine (sounds like it is coming from the head).

At first I thought it may be a valve clearance issue, but now I don't think it is because the engine would not run as strong as it does if it was a clearance issue.

The only thing that I have found is one of the cam chain guides has a "collar" in backwards. So it may be the fact that it is tapping against the inside of the engine block while it is running. Again, I am not sure because the sound is very pronouced on the left side.

All and all, this guy has taken for-freakin-ever to delivery this engine to me running in proper order. This is the third time I have taken it back to him and he has had it for 3 days now and has not called me to let me know what is wrong with it. IM PISSED! I am tempted to bring the bike to Honda and pay them to fix his F*&K UP!
post #8 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 1:33 AM

When you checked the valve clearances did you check the torque values on the cam hold downs ( for lack of a better word)? Also did you check the torque values on the cylinder head bolts? Even the best mechanics sometimes overlook small details.

Don't get too p'd off at the guy. Maybe he's backed up with other customers? I'll ask a tech friend of mine what he thinks, he's worked on 929's and 954's.
post #9 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 3:50 AM Thread Starter

The cam caps are torqued properly as they act as the "bearing" for the cam. If they were not torqued properly I would have already seized the motor. This guy obviously got in a rush. A motorcycle engine that turn 12,000 RPM is not something that you want to forget anything on or as they say come up with extra bolts or pieces when you think you are done.

I brought the bike to Honda and the service manager said he would bet his house that it was a cam chain issue. I just picked up the $100 plastic chain guide from the dealership today. We think that the collar in the guide might be warped and "slapping" against the inside of the block and making the "tapping" noise. WHO KNOWS! I am so ready for this DAMN thing to be ready and for this guy to quit dragging his ass.
post #10 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 1:57 PM

Right, they do act as the bearing. I was thinking if he step torqued them and then did not finish the last torque step on one or two of the bolts.

How long did you ride and run the bike with the noise? My only other question would be how can someone say they rebuilt an engine, but then went and used the old chain and cam gears? That's not a rebuild. That's a fix to save money. Unfortunately cutting corners to save money can lead to agrivation later on.
post #11 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

I had pulled the valve cover off to re check valve clearances.

Everything is torqued under the valve cover.

Cam sprockets and chains are really bad about "wearing out" as they have a constant lubrication from the engine oil. The chain was in excellent condition. However him putting the guide in wrong caused the chain to "push" the guide back a forth and now it has warn the guide out where the "pivot collar" is. The hole is oblong.

Not to mention that yesterday when i went up to his shop he did not even try to put that pivot collar in the correct way like I suggested, and he had me order a $100 cam chain guide and didn't even try to diagnose the problem by putting that in the correct way to see if that would fix it.

I rode the bike when I got the motor back in it...IT RUNS AWESOME!!!! And I rode the bike to his shop. I have maybe put 100 miles on the new engine.
post #12 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 4:01 PM Thread Starter

Sorry I meant to write "Cam sprockets and chains are not really bad..."
post #13 of 48 Old 05-05-2007, 6:14 PM

The cam chain guide that pushes/lifts the cam chain is an item that can wear out, so replacing it is cheap insurance as you noted above. Something like $100.

My friend, without having the bike in front of him to see/hear, says these could be possible noise causing factors:

If the owner installed the engine, the most likely cause is an exhaust leak at the #1 or #2 exhaust port gasket. Easy to do. Tighten down the nuts. If no go, then uninstall and reinstall the exhaust with new gaskets.

Otherwise, these would be my guesses:

-- Injector clicking (soft/fast, constant at all temps and is high on the motor);

-- Piston slap (louder, low on the motor, better with temp and proper oil level);

-- Piston-to-head contact (aftermarket pistons, worse with temp, low on motor, loud).

Note/Q: How do you top off your oil and site the oil level glass?

Hopefully it will just be something minor and easy to fix
Break her in nice... or break her in hard on a chasis dyno.
post #14 of 48 Old 05-14-2007, 4:00 PM Thread Starter

We have determined that this problem was not the Cam Chain and has nothing to do with the cam chain or related parts ($200 and lots of wasted time later).

My theory with the tapping noise coming from the head still remains pretty obvious. Brian Stoid finally admitted to not checking the valve lash while the engine was on the *freakin* bench being built. So today I am going to waste more time searching for this annoyance by pulling it back apart for the 6 time to check the valve (lash) clearance.

I have a pretty good hunch that when he cleaned the head he swapped an intake shim for an exhaust or vice versa.
post #15 of 48 Old 05-14-2007, 5:11 PM

Pretty shitty he didn't check that, that should be a standard part of rebuilding an engine, sometimes buddy deals aren't deals at all.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page