954 suspension set up - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-01-2007, 3:40 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 suspension set up

For the track guys that have their 54's set up; how much is the rear-end supposed to be raised? I remember being told an inch at the tail but I'd like to verify that with some people that have experience. Thanks for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-01-2007, 4:30 PM

Re: 954 suspension set up

I have a penske 8987 triple shock on mine and it is raised all the way up. (about 10-12 mm). Helps with the turn in of the bike and it was set up by GMD Computrack. It really is personal preference to how high you want to go. Some people don't like the bike tipping in really fast so raise it up a little and see how it does. Just remember to do small adjustments cause on the track you never want to do something radical.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-01-2007, 5:02 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I have an ohlins shock, I kept the ride hight stock. Seems to work for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-01-2007, 6:40 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Hi willneversee30,

rear ride height is one aspect of set-up, and I don't want to drone on about stuff you probably already know but its really important to start with the basics, set your sag (30 - 35mm up front and 25 - 30mm rear) before worrying about ride height, then start thinking about damping positions.

My 954 is set-up with a WP4618 rear shock that has around 12 - 15mm ride height adjustment, which I have set to about as high as it can go.

The front end has K-Tech 0.95kg race springs which are unfortunately a little light for me (I couldn't get the 1.05s I was after) so I have to crank the pre-load up tight.

I also have the damping set fairly heavy as I like to be able to feel exactly what is going on with my tyres - especially the front.

You don't mention what tyres you're running (180 or 190 rear for instance ?), or what adjustability your bike has (after market shock etc), but I'd be happy to help with some base line settings etc if you want them.

Cheers, Spanky.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I'm a poor college student with probably the ugliest 954 you guys will ever see. I do work at a cycle shop though so I have a hook up on parts. I can't afford to get a penske/ohlins but can afford new springs for the front and a new coil over for the rear. I'm 190lbs without gear so even with my sag maxed out I'm still out of parameters. I'm going to order the springs pretty soon and with the rear taken apart I planned to shim up the rear to the "correct" height, hence this thread. I run 180/55's.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 8:58 AM

Reputation Power: 16

You should be able to get close - I weigh 95Kg (about 200 - 210lbs ?) without gear and had my 954 handling OK with all the standard suspension - better now that I can get a reasonable sag set-up, but I could still ride the bike plenty fast enough (on the track) to keep the guys on newer bikes honest.

When you chage your front springs make sure you do the fork oil too - I went to a 10Wt (up from 7.5Wt standard) to compensate for the heavier springs (standard are 0.71Kg).

My damping set-up on the standard forks/shock was :

Front Compression 1.25 turns out
Front Rebound 1.25 turns out
(Pre-load up tight)

Rear Compression 0.5 turns out
Rear Rebound 1.0 turns out
(Spring on 7th Notch)

Once you've done your sag set-up you'll obviously need to find the damping setting that feel right for you - maybe start with mine and work from there, or start with the Honda standard settings (which is 2 turns out for everything) and see how you go !.

Shimming the rear shock can be easily done by placing some strong heavy washers on the top of the top shock mount before pushing it up through the frame and puting the nut on it to bolt it in place - 5 to 8mm maximum should do the job. Probably best to start with less and try it before adding more height.

Does your bike have a steering damper ? - if it doesn't then just leave your rear ride height alone until you can get one as the bike will get flighty...

Good luck !

Spanky.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-02-2007, 1:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a damper on it; I learned I needed one the hard way by getting a tank slapper at about 100 and having the bike go end over end. I've been to a few suspension seminars and have it dialed in as much as it can be considering it is stock. My bike also handles "ok" but I'd like to see what it feels like for it to be correct.

Thanks for the info Spanky you've been a great help.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-08-2007, 10:25 AM

I heave also noticed that I need a LOT of preload at the front to get sag down to ~40mm where I wanted it, BUT I also heard that some bikes such as some models of R1 have extra travel and extra sag at the front intentionally so that under power the front forks can extend and the wheel can stay on the ground for longer as the weight transfers to the rear. Anyone know if the 954 blade designers had the same idea?

Travel in the stock 954 forks is 110mm, is this the same as for other bikes? I thought 85mm travel was usually fairly standard, so that might be an extra 25mm of travel. If that's true, we can perhaps afford some extra sag and still have enough remaining travel for the suspension to perform well. EG if you typically set your sag equal to one third of the total 85mm travel, thats about 28mm of sag. But with 110mm travel, you could use ~37mm of sag (using the one-third rule again), or even set sag at 28mm(standard) PLUS 25mm(using extra travel length) =53mm sag (which is about what mine had with the stock settings), and you'd still have the same remaining travel as an 85mm fork would have if you set it up with 28mm sag.

Can anyone fill me in?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page