Fireblade back on track! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-01-2007, 4:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Fireblade back on track!

Just done my first track day since 2004 and also the first time riding a big (>125cc) bike on the track as well...

As usual everyone had the "pre-track jitters" queuing up to leave in pit lane and mine were fueled by a slightly damp circuit, a BT-012 front which is only the second in the bike's 22,000KM / 13,600 miles life and a full tank of damn fuel!

I was told by the Pirelli tyre guys that their "recommended" pressures for the track are 30/31 at the front and 29 at the rear! I was a bit amazed at the low 29 for the rear buy hey, in the end I thought I would give it a go and just went with it. I can't remember exactly (I was too worried about lining up at pit exit because my 2nd session was about to start) but I think in the end they did 32f and 29r.

As for the bike itself on track, the lack of "pick up and go" compared to newer generation bikes does really show! Around 5-6k it just doesn't have the needed mid-range to pull you out of the corners, I had to wait until the H-TEC valve opened up at 7k to start catching up with the bikes in front. Even the latest generation 600s (ZX-6R and R6) which I was following managed to hook up and leave faster than I could....they just seem to climb the rev range way faster.

Anyways, I've got the "don't drop the bike" monkey off my back and I'm looking forward to the next one

Ah, also need to order a set of Pilot Powers....time to google for prices!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-01-2007, 5:54 PM

Reputation Power: 15

Re: Fireblade back on track!

congrats....
I think I'm going to start setting up the F4i for track later this summer.......should be fun
post #3 of 4 Old 05-01-2007, 9:59 PM

Reputation Power: 25

The challenge I found with the 929 was to be brave enough to get good power to the ground while picking the bike up at the turn exit, yet not get over enthusiastic about it. If you are new to track riding, it will seem that everyone else is faster coming out of corners. They are probably not faster because of the motor. Two or three kph going into a turn often takes a whole straightaway to make up, even on a more powerful bike. A little more experience, and you will be much better able to take advantage of what the bike has. Hope I'm not making stupid assumptions either way! I've ridden more than 65 track days on my 929, and I can still match just about any bike or rider on turn exits. If I nail it though, my revs might be closer to 8k+ on the exit. Then you are in full power mode right when it matters most. 5k is a big handful of noodles. 6k is a lot better. 7 or 8 has got some real pull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-02-2007, 6:36 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

This wasn't my first track outing as I used to race my RS125 in the Aprilia Challenge back in 2001 ALTHOUGH this is my first ever time on track with a "big" bike so I probably wasn't feeding the power in soon enough!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page