954 rear cowl cracks at front secure points - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-02-2007, 8:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

954 rear cowl cracks at front secure points

I was working on my bike in the cold and probably tightened up the front secure bolts too tight and the cowl (fairing) cracked.
I bought a new one and It looks like it may have started to crack again (the paint is cracked for sure. I did not tighten the bolts up to tight the second time. There seems to be a small amount of tension to make the holes align up perfectly with the threaded bolt holes but not enough to cause damage.
Is this a common problem? Has anyone added material to the stock cowl to make it stronger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-02-2007, 10:28 PM

Reputation Power: 66

Send a message via Yahoo to bettingpython
Re: 954 rear cowl cracks at front secure points

It sounds temperature related. Plastics contract in cold weather and expand in warmer weather putting cowling on when it's cold may have been the culprit. My rear cowl never has any issues lining the holes up when I switch them out with my track plastics which I have done about 1/2 a dozen times in the last 2 months when I was fitting painting and doing a couple of track days. Sorry man but I haven't had any problems with my OEM plastics.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-02-2007, 10:29 PM

That sucks. Maybe check your subframe to see if it is slightly bent or loose?

As for cracks in Honda fairings you can use this stuff from Urethane Supply Co. It is a three part glue made just for ABS plastic repair. Glue from the backside of the panel obviously, scuff the area to be glued with 150 or 120 grit sandpaper to remove the paint from the backside of where the glue will be applied. Repairing Plastics with Instaweld adhesives

I know it's not a perfect answer to your question/problem, but hopefully it will be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-02-2007, 10:35 PM

Oh and your paint on the cowl is not really paint its gel coat, color is laid into the inside of a thin hollow plastic shell and then the rest of the abs plastic is injection formed into that in a mold, what appears to be cracked paint is stress cracks in the plastic.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-03-2007, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Yes Fastrr, this morning I did a quick look at the sub frame and I should be able to dial it in, though it is not off much.
Thanks for the plastic repair heads up I was thinking of using epoxy and fiberglass material.
Cheers
post #6 of 7 Old 05-03-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxredline View Post
I was thinking of using epoxy and fiberglass material.
Cheers
Glass backed repairs provide excellent strength but less flexability, I had several small issues I repaired on my goldwing in this manner. I would suggest going ahead and using fiberglass resin and hardener as it will "melt" into the ABS plastic forming a solid weld. Just don't get it on your gel coat or build it up too thick since the inside of the cowl fits fairly snug over the sub frame rails. I would tape off the hole from the outside and extend a single layer as far down and up as you can to spread the stress loads evenly then drill the new glass covering the hole with a good sharp bit. I prefer a unibit.
post #7 of 7 Old 05-05-2007, 1:00 AM Thread Starter

So far what I have done is bought some abs pipe cement and filed the end of an abs pipe to get some shavings. I grooved out the cracks 1/2 thickness and applied the cement with a tooth pick. Then I mixed some of the abs shavings and the abs cement to fill the void and built it up a bit. Then I did the same thing to the other side. It looks good. After a 24 hour final cure time I will try it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page