Durability of chain with gearing change - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-04-2007, 6:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Durability of chain with gearing change

If I go for the popular -1 at the front and +1 at the rear gearing modification, will this have any sort of negative effect on the life of a new 520 (one of the strong DID ones) chain, in other words...will the gearing change put more strain on the chain?

Also, for anyone who's done this sort of mod...how many revs is the bike pulling at about 70MPH in 6th gear...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-04-2007, 8:18 AM

Reputation Power: 66

Send a message via Yahoo to bettingpython
Re: Durability of chain with gearing change

Chain stretch is a measure of the quality of the chain, chain maintenance, and proper chain tension. A high end chain made of qaulity alloys will last longer, regular cleaning and lubrication will prevent rust and grime from accumulating and maintining the correct amount of slack will go a long ways towards keeping your chain from wearing out.

I hate getting my bike back from a shop and finding 1/2" of slack when the 954 requires 1 9/16" to 2" of slack this wil wear a chain out very quickly.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 PM

Reputation Power: 15

If you get the DID ERV chain, or the RK GB520GXW chain, you can sleep easy tonight!

I have over 153 at the wheel on my 945RR (and over 76lb ft of torque), running -1/+2 gearing. My RK GB520GXW is as strong as the hills and can handle this power with no issues at all.

Also, use the Honda Pro Lube in the red can. You can get it from your Honda dealer. It's a dry Teflon lube that doesn't fling. It is used by the Honda race teams too. If you can't find it, 3M also make a dry teflon spray lube for chains.

With this gearing mod, you will want to correct your speedometer. Get a SpeedoHealer from SpeedoHealer - Electronic Speedometer and Odometer calibrator for motorcycles. It's an awesome and most valuable piece of equipment to have on a sportbike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-05-2007, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sime View Post
If you get the DID ERV chain, or the RK GB520GXW chain, you can sleep easy tonight!

I have over 153 at the wheel on my 945RR (and over 76lb ft of torque), running -1/+2 gearing. My RK GB520GXW is as strong as the hills and can handle this power with no issues at all.

Also, use the Honda Pro Lube in the red can. You can get it from your Honda dealer. It's a dry Teflon lube that doesn't fling. It is used by the Honda race teams too. If you can't find it, 3M also make a dry teflon spray lube for chains.

With this gearing mod, you will want to correct your speedometer. Get a SpeedoHealer from SpeedoHealer - Electronic Speedometer and Odometer calibrator for motorcycles. It's an awesome and most valuable piece of equipment to have on a sportbike.
Thanks for the info, the SpeedoHealer will definately be needed!

But just wondering, how many revs does the bike pull with the -1/+2 mod at around 70MPH in 6th?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page