98 cbr900rr clutch adjustment problem (need a little help) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 2:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 cbr900rr clutch adjustment problem (need a little help)

ok here's the problem i am having.

purchased the bike over a month ago, and noticed when i test drove it that there was little play left in the clutch ( i would pull the caliper in and it would meet friction at about 3/4's out) felt like about an inch worth of travel left in the caliper from friction point to completely out but bought the bike anyway seeing that would be expected (at 24k miles)and i would eat the cost to replace if i needed to.

so i was trouble shooting. checked upper and lower adjustment and couldnt get any more play without having the caliper loosing half of its tightness (the caliper would be half way pulled in on itself). im not having any troubles with the bike popping out of gear or up/down shifting so i was guessing plates are still good. only thing i can think of (seeing that im not a tech) would be that the cable itself has been stretched out over the last 9 yrs and that it needs to be replaced.

any help in this area would be appreciated from you guys. please give me some info.

oh, and its great to be part of a forum that the majority of the members have brains. you probably would believe half of the idiot info i have been reading on most of the cbr forums out there.

thanks guys, Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 3:46 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to slorider18
Re: 98 cbr900rr clutch adjustment problem (need a little help)

by caliper i'm assuming you mean the clutch lever. and usually there is a little bit of play. the only adjustments should be at the lever itself, and you just loosen or tighten the screw to your desired setting. my cluctch engages about halfway through the stroke. that's how i like it. where do you want the clutch to engage?
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 4:22 PM Thread Starter

yeah im sorry by caliper i mean lever, have always called them that since i used to terrain ride mountain bikes back in the day.

i would like the lever at 50% to start at the friction point just as yours does, its like i have just barely enough play . ive already gone through the upper adjustment and the lower adjustment just above the clutch itself (the one with the adjustemnt bolt and the locking bolt). i want to think that its the cable...so its a cheap quick fix. thats at least what i figured i would replace first and then go from there. but then who likes to spend money on parts that might not be the problem , thats why i asked . you get me ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 5:16 PM

I have the 95 900rr. Look down on the right side of the bike where the cable comes into contact with the mechanism that pulls the actuall clutch. There should be a tiny amount of free play in that part, that's good. The lever usually has about 10mm-13mm of freeplay before it engages the clutch. The freeplay, as i'm sure you know, is necessary so the clutch plates remain tight with each other and in contact with one another. If the cable freeplay is removed/tightened too much, the steel clutch discs will overheat and warp, then the clutch fiber discs will prematurely wear out.

The problem i have with the clutch cable on my bike is it is about 1 inch too long so it rubs and comes into harsh contact with the gauge assembly just below where the cable takes a down turn. This cable i used was made by MotionPro. I think Honda OEM is a better fit.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-05-2010, 12:50 AM

ive got a 93 blade and the guy that i bought it from says he put new clutches in it but my bro in law and i went for a ride and it slips bad any help out there but when u rev it it catches we did adjust upper and lower adjustments so i need help if u can help [email protected] thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page