cam chain and tensioner on 96 900RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cam chain and tensioner on 96 900RR

my bike has a bit of a slapping sound mainly at idle...after reading several posts about cam chains, that makes sense to me. what do you guys think?
i rebuilt a couple Kawi 1100 engines several years ago for a dwarf car, but have never been inside a honda....what is involved in changing the cam chain and associated wear items in a 900RR engine? can it be done in the bike? what parts do i need? my engine makes noise when i roll into the throttle, possibly spark knock,particularly at lower revs. i have no idea what may have been done to the engine by past owners( timing, internals, etc...) but i do know that it's had track time. could my noise be du to too much timing for race gas? i run 93octane pump gas in it. sorry for the rambling post....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-22-2007, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: cam chain and tensioner on 96 900RR

Yes the cam chain can be done in the bike. I have crowned myself a master 929 engine technician thanks to my wonderful machinist that built my engine. I have done a lot of "cleaning up" after him.

My 929 almost dropped a valve and it made a noise similar to what you are describing. My suggestion is if you are going through preventive maintnance of replacing the cam chain I would check your valve clearance (lash) before doing anything else just to eliminate the possibility of something serious such as my situation. If you would like to discuss further I can give you my personal phone number just e-mail me [email protected]. Thanks, and good luck!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page