954 Steering bearing nut??? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

954 Steering bearing nut???

Hello everyone.

I have a 2003 954RR that makes a popping sound from the front of the bike when I hold the front brake and push up and down hard on the suspension. I took the bike to honda today to get the advise of one of their techs and he thought all I needed to do was torque down the nut under the top fork bridge a little and this would solve my problem. Easy enough except that I do not know how to take that bridge off to get to the nut.

Has anyone had popping noise problem?

Can anyone tell me how to remove the top fork bridge to get to this nut? I am fairly mechanically inclined and do most of the work on my cars and bike myself but I have never messed with the suspension of a bike.

Any advise will be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 3:02 PM

Re: 954 Steering bearing nut???

yep, it's probably loose. you need to open the center nut and the small hex bolts that are keeping the top triple on. then just raise it up. it's usually easier to remove the hand brake as the triple right side bolt is hard to get if the hand brake is attached.

Then just tighten it and put everything back. I cannot remember the exact torgues, but I thing the smaller bolts are close to 24 Nm? and the center nut is closer to 100?Nm(the center bolt on top of the triple.)

The actual bearing torgue is 16Nm or something like that, but you can just tighten it with 'feel', then try that the steering works and is not too stiff. usually it's then fine.

With the top triple removed the front is very flexy, you should not sit on the bike. and it's usually good to support it from the roof or use some lift under the bike to take the weight off the front.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 3:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, i will try that this weekend. how do you suggest supporting the front of the bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 8:12 PM

No need to support the bike from the roof. It will sit just fine with the lower triple only. I've done this and had no issues whatsoever.

A rear race stand does help however so that it keeps the forks evenly loaded and straight.

Of course, if you do decide to support the bike, you can remove the forks and inspect/clean/regrease the headstem bearings. If you have a garage, hang some ratchet straps from the rafters, attaching one to each side of the lower triple clamp (or the clip ons as long as they are tight!). If you have a drywall ceiling, put a piece of 2x4 across the manhole cover opening (as that's attached directly to the joists).

You can then jack the bike from the sump (use a piece of wood), and just tighten the ratchet straps as you go. This will keep the bike in the air. Don't put all the weight of the bike on the straps, just use them to steady the bike while it is being supported by the jack.

But do have a buddy available to steady the bike. DON'T try to do this lift by yourself!

Cheers,
Sime
post #5 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 8:19 PM

Reputation Power: 14

if you dont already get a service manual they help alot and if you need OEM parts learn how to use servicehonda.com there the best and cheapest. good luck
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the advise. I got the bike apart and tightened the nut no problem. The top fork bridge however was a terrible pain to get off of the bike. Is it that hard to get off on every bike or is their maybe something wearing on mine that made it so dificutlt Again thanks to everyone for the advise.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-05-2007, 11:14 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVERL8 View Post
Thanks, i will try that this weekend. how do you suggest supporting the front of the bike?

A head lift stand would work best because it removes the pressure off the forks/wheel entirely. Maybe place a 2x4 or 2x6 under the engine sump pan and support it with jackstands. Or hang the bike from a real sturdy rafter beam from the frame of the bike.

I was just recently checking out these jackstands made by PitBull.. they look extremely handy.
Pit Bull : Jack Stands [F0062-000] - $149.95
post #8 of 8 Old 05-06-2007, 4:00 AM

Reputation Power: 14

About jackstands..... i needed one a few weeks back and the motorcycle shop that is in glenwood springs didnt have any in stock...so i decided to build one.

Paid 20 bucks for the steel, i used 1/8" thick 1.25x1.25". Since my work has band saws and a welder i made it in less than 20 min. best 20 bucks i ever spent

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page