Blown shock - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 2:42 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Blown shock

What a pisser...I just bought this bike last August (used) and when I had it stored for the winter it fell over and broke the Proton flush mount on the right side...so I emailed them today to see if I could just buy the right one...and they're sending a warranty replacement for free! Awesome product and great customer service...but when I went out tonight to go take it off I noticed some fluid on the brake rotor and rim/tire/ground...It appears as though the right shock is blown...must've been that damn pothole...

My funding is very limited at the current moment, so the cheapest solution possible would be best. I've rebuilt mountain bike shocks (air/spring, elastomer/spring) and replaced many sets of struts on cars but nothing like this. Would it be cheaper to have them rebuilt or just to get a used set for say $300? I know parts would be relatively cheap (seals, oil, etc.) but what is reasonable for labor on something like that? 4 hours @$60 an hour?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 3:49 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Blown shock

Can you take the fork off the bike and take it in to the shop? This may save you the labor costs with the shop taking the fork off the bike and putting it back on after the fork repairs are completed.

I have been through this before and I removed my own forks and brought them in for fork seal replacement. I always did the initial loosening of the fork cap.

Hope this helps......
post #3 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 1:10 PM Thread Starter

luckily my friend's dad has a shop in the town I grew up in...does great work and it's worth the money because he's an honest guy. $230 bringing the whole bike in. I would say not too bad a deal...but while I'm in there what is the best thing to add as far as sag adjustment? I'm about 40-60 pounds heavier than the bike was designed for, obviously I could get rid of some of that to combat fork sag...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-07-2007, 1:25 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Get a heavier set of fork springs for your forks. Not sure what forks you need. Check Dan Kyle racing he will have what you need. You should just get new springs and replace both fork seals while your at it. Do it all at once if you are going to have the forks removed and have a trustworthy shop.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-16-2007, 7:03 PM

I blew mine doing wheelies..just take off the forks take them into a shop and tell them to service them all you need is new seals and theyll change the oil in them too. It cost me about around $120 or if you feel really confident in your self go get a manual some fork oil and seals and give in a shot..it'll probably only cost $30-$40 then. one of my buddies did it on his yz125..and he never did ne thing like that b4, cant be that much different. Seems intimidating to me though.. also tightening up the suspension will keep that from happening again. good luck

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page